Should Castle Market be a listed building?

Some fool has obviously put in a request for a spot listing - turns out anyone can request a building be listed

http://www.culture.gov.uk/what_we_do/historic_environment/4179.aspx

Somebody from Leeds perhaps? :suspect: After all, Leeds Castle is in Kent, and they can't let us have something they've not got!;)

it wants demolishing as soon as possible, it just attracts chavs and is an eyesore.

and while the bulldozers are there maybe thy can get rid of another eyesore that is park hill flats .

I'm all for opening up the castle remains, but be realistic. There isn't much of the castle left, so it's not going to bring in many tourists. Pontefract has much more of a similarly large but better-known castle remaining, and it's not exactly heaving with tourists. Manchester has a few remains of a Roman fort; even though these are probably rarer than castles, it attracts very few tourists to the city.

The castle was massive, it was one of the biggest in the country!so I reckon there is still quite a lot down there. There are also plans to rebuild part of it to stage plays and other such things.

There's actually quite a bit left if you dig down. It was probably one of the biggest in the country, somewhat like Warwick in size. Once exposed etc it could be part of a Mary Queen of Scots heritage draw along with Manor Lodge. Even if it wasn't a major tourist attraction, it's something a lot of local people are unaware of. Too many people, including locals, think Sheffield suddenly sprang into existence with the industrial revolution.

The castle was massive, it was one of the biggest in the country!so I reckon there is still quite a lot down there. There are also plans to rebuild part of it to stage plays and other such things.

It was big, but not as big as some. I chose my examples carefully - Sheffield Castle occupied an estimated 4.2 acres; Pontefract Castle about 7 acres. At best, surviving remains are cellars, foundations and the lower parts of walls - a little less than Pontefract has.

Rebuilding the castle, or part of it, could be great if carefully done. Even if that's not on, staging plays, organising joint tours with with Manor Lodge, and just generally making people aware of the city's history, are all great plans, and would doubtless attract lots of people from the local area, and a few from further afield. But don't expect it to be a really major tourist attraction - it's never going to be Warwick Castle.

Hmm someone seems intent on turning Sheffield into a museum of crappy 1960s concrete architecture.

That market is of great cultural importance to Sheffield; its were ya mom and dad/nan and grandad used to work/buy fish and meat etc in the "good old days".

it would be a ridiculous decision to list this building considering the castle remains below are not even listed!

Youre wrong, the "remains" are listed Grade II

People in Sheffield are obsessed by the castle.

Its talked about almost as if the remains would become tourist destination of the north but its not something that people will want to see from outside the city or if they did they would never come solely to see a bit of old rubble.

At the end of the day when we have a national deficit why would spending money on yet ANOTHER white elephant in Sheffield be even remotely sensible

We have a tonne of heritage destinations already. If people went to those more maybe they wouldn't be in such financial trouble.

The markets will be judged on whether they have enough special character / architecture to warrant a listing. Personally I dont think they are going to achieve that, there are much better examples around the uk of post war buildings serving the same function.

Interestingly enough, the markets were jointly designed by Womersley who did both the park hill and the Arndale centre in Manchester and by Darbyshire who did York University.

The Markets should go. I don't neccessarily go for the tourism angle myself because Sheffield never markets its heritage effectively. The castle remains are where Sheffield grew up. Simple as that.

I hope the folk who indicated their interest on the opening of the castle remains thread are e-mailing english heritage accordingly.

This application is a confusing move, made suspicious by the anonymity of the applicant. Someone probably stands to make some money out of preserving the old market.

I support total demolition of the market area and opening up the castle remains within a wider feature redevelopment in the heart of the city. My view is unlikely to change until someone can convince me of the merits of retaining any of the present buildings.

I know many people think uncovering the castle ruins is pointless but I have seen a report by a team of experts who apraised the site and there is a lot of potential in uncovering the site though it would have been better if the coop hadn't become listed as there are also remains under there. I like the new market site too. The area round it is looking good. I think it will be a great assett to the Moor. I like shopping at the market but I don't like the buildings its housed in. Its dark and grubby and it says more for the market traders hard work than the buildings that they manage to keep things clean. Historys of Sheffield tend to start with the industrial revolution as if there was nothing worth talking about before then, and so people have come to believe it. Some people seem to want to hold onto the image of dirty old Sheffield now crumbling due to old industries closed or closing. We do need to have a wider view of Sheffield both in the past and in the future. I am far more worried at the state of the old town hall than a poorly designed crumbling market. In the 60s we lost so much of the pre industrial heritage of Sheffield. I think we must protect whats left that has merit. I have not seen anything that persuades me the market has more merit than the castle site.