Should Castle Market be a listed building?

Castle Market is a concrete slab which must NEVER be listed. I can't wait to see it demolished and then have the castle ruins fully excavated and set on display to the public.

The castle remains are of such great historical interest that they can't stay buried under such an awful building any longer.

The market has declined in recent years, so move the traders down the Moor, get the site cleared, and lets see our castle ruins brought to public view to benefit schools, education, civic pride, investment, and tourism in Sheffield.

i deliver in there and was told by 1 of the stall holders that parts of the building where allready condemmed when they moved there from the sheaf markets over 10 years ago

(and that was meant to only be why they built a new market to replace both the sheaf and castle markets)

1996 - The City Council announced early in 1996, the 700th anniversary year, a multi-million pound scheme to transform Castlegate Markets. A new market hall is to be built on the site of Sheaf Market, in line with the latest European Union food hygiene requirements. Castle Market will transfer to the new hall and that site will then be redeveloped to include shops, leisure facilities, riverside housing and the opening up of Castle ruins. A multi-storey car park will also be built between Commercial Street and Broad Street with a roof top market square linking Commercial Street and the new market hall.

Sheffield City Council Leader, Mike Bower has stated: "Sheffield Markets are the economic heart of the Castlegate area. The redevelopment of the markets provides an exciting opportunity to create a landmark attraction that will reinvigorate the social and economic welfare of the city centre."

taken from http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/business-economy/markets/history-and-visits/history-of-the-markets-in-sheffield/markets-history---1900s

Your clueless!the market is a shambles in it's current form!the new one will be bigger and have more stalls!also opening up the castle remains would benefit the Sheffield economy hugely, as it would bring in lots of tourists!
Sorry Dr Grigory Perelman, I just thought id express my own oppinion on it if thats ok Sir ?

I have seen people complaining about the proposed demolition of the Markets as they claimed it was the only one left of its kind. Could it be the only one of its kind because of its poor design?. It certainly would cost a fortune to restore and to what end? The castle ruins back in view would give Sheffield an edge over other cities. A chance to link heritage sites across South Yorkshire. But of course now we have a conservative government we can forget doing anything positive and we will end up like Bradford with huge holes and delerict buildings. The last thing we want is the council forced to put money into the old market when it could be doing better things with its money.

It should be reduced to a fine rubble.

I agree , what a crap hole that area is , id make a small park or put some posh retail units up just to get rid of the rif-raf :D

opening up the castle remains would benefit the Sheffield economy hugely, as it would bring in lots of tourists!

I'm all for opening up the castle remains, but be realistic. There isn't much of the castle left, so it's not going to bring in many tourists. Pontefract has much more of a similarly large but better-known castle remaining, and it's not exactly heaving with tourists. Manchester has a few remains of a Roman fort; even though these are probably rarer than castles, it attracts very few tourists to the city.

£3 a sack, come and get you market rubble ! :hihi:

I'm all for opening up the castle remains, but be realistic. There isn't much of the castle left, so it's not going to bring in many tourists. Pontefract has much more of a similarly large but better-known castle remaining, and it's not exactly heaving with tourists. Manchester has a few remains of a Roman fort; even though these are probably rarer than castles, it attracts very few tourists to the city.

There's actually quite a bit left if you dig down. It was probably one of the biggest in the country, somewhat like Warwick in size. Once exposed etc it could be part of a Mary Queen of Scots heritage draw along with Manor Lodge. Even if it wasn't a major tourist attraction, it's something a lot of local people are unaware of. Too many people, including locals, think Sheffield suddenly sprang into existence with the industrial revolution.