Real ale pubs showing world cup matches

This place http://www.kickov.com/ is showing a few more than just the England games.

They are next to Picture Social House, looks a big screen and nice setup, I have asked them if they do any ales, only mentions the word "craft" on their website.

The Ball Inn at Crookes - cannot find what games they are showing but I guess they will have a few on with all those screens.

Saw the Kickov thing Pete and looks good and craft is more my thing than cask anyway. But, according to the calendar they publish, they aren't doing it on a saturday, which is the only time I'm likely to get out of the sticks and into Sheffield, other than staying after work.

Ball is a good shout though, thanks.

What I'd like is a pub with an old TV on a high shelf in the corner. Not a flatscreen one, I mean an old cathode ray tube one, preferably smoke-stained. The Banner Cross used to have one - I think it's been upgraded now. There must still be one somewhere? I bet there are still a few in some parts of Russia.

I remember watching the Blades/Owls cup semi-final on a portable 'colour' TV in a small backroom of the Howard or the Globe (before they knocked some walls out).

Edited by Bilge

Saw the Kickov thing Pete and looks good and craft is more my thing than cask anyway. But, according to the calendar they publish, they aren't doing it on a saturday, which is the only time I'm likely to get out of the sticks and into Sheffield, other than staying after work.

A bit closer to town The Clubhouse are showing ALL the matches. But no craft/keg ales unless you like Stones bitter they have half a dozen cask ales, usually 3 or 4 ciders.

The Kickov does sound interesting, might give it a go for one of the matches. I also hear they have no Saturday games on apart from June 30th

Found that Greystones are showing a few matches but none on Saturday.

Edited by SpiderPete
added Greystones

This place http://www.kickov.com/ is showing a few more than just the England games.

They are next to Picture Social House, looks a big screen and nice setup, I have asked them if they do any ales, only mentions the word "craft" on their website.

The Ball Inn at Crookes - cannot find what games they are showing but I guess they will have a few on with all those screens.

They pretty much always have 3 cask ales on, with one always being Abbeydale. Then keg and plenty of bottles / cans. btw, does cask mean NOT craft / `craft` is only kegged ?! :confused:

They pretty much always have 3 cask ales on, with one always being Abbeydale. Then keg and plenty of bottles / cans. btw, does cask mean NOT craft / `craft` is only kegged ?! :confused:

Of course not. Whilst it is true that many craft brewers have switched production to mainly key keg and can (largely for ease of distribution and export I guess, though some cynics may say it's so they can chuck a quid a pint on top of the price) there are some notable examples of really good beer on cask. Though to be fair its generally only really Shakespeares, Rutland and possibly Bar Stewards and Thornbridge outlets that tend to have them around here.

I suspect this is largely because people in Sheffield often go 'Ow much?' at any cask beer over around £2.50/pt and think Farmers Belgian Blue is the pinnacle of modern brewing*.

*Note to the uninitiated - it's not.

And a thread about which pubs are showing football degenerates into the usual real ale willy-waving routing.

Pack it in, for crying out loud.

Does it specify 'all world cup games' or just England matches? Looking for places to watch some others as I crawl arounnd Sheffield

Checked. It specifies ALL World Cup matches.

Yep. I would absolutely love to go to Kickov, but they haven't got use of the venue on all but one Saturday, which rules that option out. :(

Greystones has all matches, I believe. :)

Greystones has all matches, I believe. :)

They do but none on a Saturday.

Was in New Barrack Tavern last night and they are showing ALL matches including Saturday.

Checked. It specifies ALL World Cup matches.

Awesome. Thanks Taxman

---------- Post added 14-06-2018 at 12:29 ----------

They do but none on a Saturday.

Was in New Barrack Tavern last night and they are showing ALL matches including Saturday.

And Peter :)

The Ale House, Fraser Road, S8 have posted this on their facebook page.

The World Cup

We will be showing live on a Big Screen TV all World Cup games that take place during normal opening hours. This starts today with Russia v Saudi Arabia k/o 4pm.

Additionally we will be open for all England games so on Monday 18 June we are open from 4 pm for England v Tunisia.(k/o 7pm

On Sunday 24 June we are opening early for England v Panama (k/o 1pm).