Jump to content

Sheffield skinheads in the 80s

Recommended Posts

Abercrombie coats, brogue and lofer shoes and "sta" press came in during the blurring of lines at the beginning of the Suedehead period...a time often forgot.

 

Any ex Suedeheads out there?

 

Anyone remember the time when the “boot boys” used to spray their “docers” gold or silver depending on which football team you supported? As far as I know this was a Sheffield thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by stevie1957

Not all the skinheads from that time were violent.

 

 

I agree.

It's not fair to class everyone the same.

I once slipped in the snow and was helped gently to my feet by the punkist of punks

hazel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just as well that we forgot the suedeheads they were worse than the skinheads I use to work in a pub on the outskirts of sheffield and they was always causing trouble at least with the skins you could have a beer with them and a chat but the suedeheads they were a different kettle of fish. I can recall a suedehead getting knocked off his feet by a skinhead who was stood in the pub I worked at the other skinheads just picked him and put him over a wall the answer I got was thats were you normally put ****. some of the skinheads who came into the pub were brilliant guys to get to know I wonder to this day what ever happened to them do they meet up for old time sake and talk of the things they use to do,maybe not I being an old skinhead havent got the time to chat to my fellow skins also I dont dwell on my past times when I was younger too many bad memories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm an ex skinhead who moved away from Sheffield in the mid 80's. Just started to listen to punk and Oi! music again after a long break. I remember frequenting the Barrow Boys and The Marples regularly. The Barrow Boys was a real spit and sawdust pub. Good job really! The Marples was great for gigs upstairs. I remember going to see a few punk bands there usually with The Mau Maus as support. Anyone know if the Mau Maus are still around?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by stevie1957

Abercrombie coats, brogue and lofer shoes and "sta" press came in during the blurring of lines at the beginning of the Suedehead period...a time often forgot.

 

Any ex Suedeheads out there?

 

Anyone remember the time when the “boot boys” used to spray their “docers” gold or silver depending on which football team you supported? As far as I know this was a Sheffield thing.

 

Silver for the Owls, Gold for the Blades. Memory failing but must be around 1971-73.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if i remember rightly the barrow boys was down the road past rebels and turn right and it was under the bridge, not that i ever dared venture in, i was a punk :)

I remember always getting chased by adolf and the cronies everytime we used to go to the record shop on the castle market gallery walkway...until i once had a word with my old mate froggy, then it suddenly stopped :)

I also remember going fascist bashing during the ireland march with the rest of the sheffield anarchists and seeing a skinhead get left sprawled out in a pile of record covers in bradleys records on fargate, and getting chased out of fagins pub later on by a group of about 30 NF supporters including i believe a couple of leaders, one tried it on as we left and got a key embedded in his face.

 

those are my main memories of the skinheads in the city centre, bit vague, but it has been a while :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by drolnhoj

Silver for the Owls, Gold for the Blades. Memory failing but must be around 1971-73.

 

Correct

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Gladys

I'm an ex skinhead who moved away from Sheffield in the mid 80's. Just started to listen to punk and Oi! music again after a long break. I remember frequenting the Barrow Boys and The Marples regularly. The Barrow Boys was a real spit and sawdust pub. Good job really! The Marples was great for gigs upstairs. I remember going to see a few punk bands there usually with The Mau Maus as support. Anyone know if the Mau Maus are still around?

 

the lead singer of the mau mau's was a good mate of mine around 1984 he decided to pack it up and he came to work on the buildings with me..about two months later they got a contract and toured america,gutted was putting it mildly

 

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

 

aint got a clue what they are doing now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My boyfriend at the time, was good mates with the Mau Mau's, so whenever they played in Sheffield we always went backstage after the gig to have a drink, got a few pics of them on stage as well. Still got one of their vinyl albums which I listen to every now and then - "Running with the pack".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahh, Happy days.

We all used to meet in the Woolco's cafe, buy a vinyl single (for 89p) and then walk round haymarket as we dodged the punks/ skinheads spitting off of the top of the gallery.

We'd then go into the Sheaf market, but a yard of fabric from Rubys or Esbergers and go home to make a skirt to go out in that night!!!

Didn't always have time to finish off very well and was lucky if the skirt didn't fall to bits halfway thro the night!

Never lasted a wash....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by kirky

the lead singer of the mau mau's was a good mate of mine around 1984 he decided to pack it up and he came to work on the buildings with me..about two months later they got a contract and toured america,gutted was putting it mildly

 

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

 

aint got a clue what they are doing now

Sticky (Paul) Barker the drummer from the Mau maus works at Shiregreen, married and respectable and still can't help bloody tapping tables as if he's playing the skins! hehe, sorry Paul. Andrew Levick the guitarist is happy with his partner Christine and has two kids Dee and Jazz. Sticky and Andrew both live in Renishaw. Chris Taylor the lead vocalist lives in Killamarsh and can usually be seen in the Casbah on a friday night with his brother Shaun, haven't seen Bunny for years but hear he's well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i remember being beaten up in one of the record stores on fargate,

about 6 mods and skins having this scrap in the middle of the shop . They were mental dicks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.