Sheffield skinheads in the 80s

8) Nah Den Ace.......

Yeah, I remember the skins hanging about on the balcony on Flat Street. One of the top skins was a half-caste kid who went by the name of "Adolf"! I don't know that he had the intelligence to realise the irony of his pseudonym!

Regards,

Spacehopper.

Yes, i remember him, he was a good mate, his real name if i remember right is Adel, hence the nickname Adolf!

Yes, i remember him, he was a good friend, his real name is Adel, hence the nickname Adolf!

HAHA everybody knows adolf

i remmeber him being rasist even though hes half caste and having a black girlfriend?

him and his mates chasing me and some mates through the markets everytime they saw us.........froggy put a stop to that tho :P

he once asked us in the wap to skinup for him cos he couldnt

I was skinhead girl in the early 80's, best days of my life, I was never in any fights or saw any of my mates involved in any violence, we used to keep out of trouble best we could and just had a good laugh together, shaved head wiv a fringe we'd ask for at scotts barbers on the wicker, our dress code (girls)was monkey boots/ porkpie shoes, Smart Rs jeans, white Fred Perry n silk green/ blue pilot jacket, we all looked very smart!

most of our time was spent on the gallery at the markets, the showboat, the friery, pond street (does anyone remember THE FOUR SEASONS cafe? it was gr8 for a cuppa,) or the hole in the road, sometimes we'd go up to spring street where they started a youth club for us,i spent many nights playing pool there, then later onto the marples n the barrow boys pubs. We all seemed to take over the fair at Hillsborough too when it came to town!

I remember all the old crowd who i've not seen for many years, China, Briggsy, Duncan, Adolf, Mezzy, Drid, Tommy, Kenty, Dicko, Razor, Scodger, Norman, Willy, Mozzle, Webbo, Froggy, Wayne n Tony Anderson, Zonny, Sammy, Tracey, Trina, Mel, Bev, Dawn, Jane, Jill, Jet, Debs, Kate, to name only a few, i often wonder what they're up to now, i'm just a regular 30 something working mum now hoping my kids dont turn out like i did lol!!! oh, what fun we had, but at the time it seemed so bad, trying different ways to make a difference to the days!!!

hmmm dont see my name.......lol

trina turned trendy,tracey turned punk scodger.......well he,s still himself n his sister mel. has nt changed

hmmm dont see my name.......lol

trina turned trendy,tracey turned punk scodger.......well he,s still himself n his sister mel. has nt changed

LOL!, so sorry if i forgot u, tell me who u r n i might add u to my list hehe :thumbsup:

Yeah the skins used to hang around the Barrow Boys and the pub at the bottom of the road where the Cossack is (sorry can't remember pub or road name). Another favourite haunt was the gallery down at the markets. They'd stand there drinking cheap cider and then throw the bottles off, usually at the SWP paper sellers!

I knew quite a few of them as I was a punk at the time. There was Adolf, Skinner, Briggsy, can't remeber any other names right now. I see Briggsy sometimes. He's a personal trainer now and does landscape gardening too. He's actually a really nice bloke who's 'grown up' ok!

he s grown up ok..................

any reason why he shouldnt have

he s grown up ok..................

any reason why he shouldnt have

stunted growth?

dodgy hormones?

not eating his crusts?

:P

sound like a bunch of f------ idiots to me, but thats me???.:heyhey: :heyhey:

yep thats you

u f------idiot:)

if i remember rightly the barrow boys was down the road past rebels and turn right and it was under the bridge, not that i ever dared venture in, i was a punk :)

I remember always getting chased by adolf and the cronies everytime we used to go to the record shop on the castle market gallery walkway...until i once had a word with my old mate froggy, then it suddenly stopped :)

I also remember going fascist bashing during the ireland march with the rest of the sheffield anarchists and seeing a skinhead get left sprawled out in a pile of record covers in bradleys records on fargate, and getting chased out of fagins pub later on by a group of about 30 NF supporters including i believe a couple of leaders, one tried it on as we left and got a key embedded in his face.

those are my main memories of the skinheads in the city centre, bit vague, but it has been a while :)

u mean u never went in the barrowboys mellllllllllllll

u dont know what u missed

u mean u never went in the barrowboys mellllllllllllll

u dont know what u missed

no, never :P

only went past the doors when it was shut

:P

lol

two good mates of mine, Wardy and Sparky, used to be showboat skins, in fact they still have the haircut.

though not sure if thats cos its just stopped growing ha ha ha...

:) we were original skin's [68] seems 2 me in them days u were either a skin or a hairy,it was just the in fashion of the period.we never got in 2 bovver, we just thought we looked smart in our boots & braces,can't imagine rollin about in a pair o trousers that cost a years pocket money.as 2 seude heads it seemed a natural progression to not bein a skin anymore as yer hair di'nt grow back over nite,or u cudda won the pools bought a john lennon wig & whole new wardrobe-lol.the only bad trouble i saw round that time was the mods & rockers kickin the sh*t outta each other in skegness,the general opinion being that the 1s that started it had been as close 2 a motor bike or scooter as i have 2 michelle phiefer.u used 2 see em all oer't place carry'in their crash helmet,wearin a parka or studded leather jackets [with a scrapmans dream xmas bonus on their backs-lol] catchin the last bus or train home.these were known as plastics or greebos,depending on what form of 2 wheeled transport u pretended 2 have.me & the m8s went on 2 buyining lambrettas [the sensible 1s bought vespas] so i spose we were then mods, i seemed 2 spend most o the time pushin my bl**dy scooter on long runs 2 the seaside etc. & many a time rockers on big triumphs bsa's etc. stopped & got the damn thing goin again 4 me[bless em].any road as we got al ittle older & discovered the forbidden fruits of pubs & clubs we all turned in2 rod stewart or bowie clones[with a few marc bolans thrown in2]so in my humble opinion its all about fashion,in no way did i think i was connected 2 racism or facism [our ole fella fought the nazis 4- 5years & they wer'nt very nice 2 me ma & granparents either-see my other posts-attercliffe.]on a footnote, has any1 got the same hairstyle & dress style they had 40 years ago?. eroll brown[hot chocolate] rod stewart & david essex need not reply.p.s. [think it was big ed who said e was a 60s skin]do u remember the darnall mob led by georgie moore & his brother?.

Way before my time Willow, i wasn't born until '68 ;) it seems like we still got up to the same kinda things as you though, we used to go down to Brighton every summer just so the lads could do some mod bashing, silly boys lol, most of them ended up getting beat up :(