Sheffield skinheads in the 80s

HI Marina I was 17. in 1970 Silver Blades was tha skating Rink and For a while I was security there, all 9 stone of me. Had a lambretta which I rode there and parked it among the million others. You dont work at Childers do you:) Love Hervey Bay and drive up the beach to Frazer quite often. Can't help but feel sorry for the ones who never got off their arses and made it out here, they don't know what they're missing.

I use to be a skinhead in the 1980's spent most of my time down attercliffe we always got fighting when the fair use to come on the spare ground at darnall.Brightside was another haunt of ours, going back to attercliffe we once went in the fisherman pub just off broughton lane this is going up to darnall we had never been in the pub before there was about 20 of us.We had a right shock when we walked through the door it was full of hells angels there was one bloody big battle outside I had my hand broke by a stupid long haired fella he lashed out at me with a motorbike chain thats all they was good for using weapons but revenge was ours 6 weeks later we all went back up only this time there was more of use than them I can remember one of the hairy fairys getting is hair cut there must have been 8 of the skinheads had pinned him down and somebody used a big pair of hair cutting shears on him he finnished up with hardly any hair on him.We also had a visit from some of the darnall skinheads and they got stuck in I think that 4 of the motorbikes got wrecked.The police turned up but we had legged it down to the broughton inn so even to this day I dont know what had happened to the hairy fairy who had got his hair cut free of charge.We never went back there again.

Thats one of the reasons why Iand many more like me emigrate

Back again for more l'm afraid.After studying a few more posts l must have missed something.There were Skinheads and pretenders, the later wearing 30 hole DM's, short jeans and the disgusting green bomber jackets.

My DM's, when l wore them were 16 holes, l wore jeans or Levi Sta-pressed trousers, Harrington jackets, or Cashmere Crombie style coats.I owned a Bowler hat, leather gloves and expensive brogues and Oxford shoes, as well as Ben sherman shirts or Fred Perry tops.

The Barrow Boy's pub was a place for the pretender's unfortunately, our gang was a composition of Mod's, Suede heads and Skins. we used to meet in the old Saddle Inn on West Street and frequent pubs and clubs around the city centre, Abbeydale Road and London Road. We weren't bullies, had morals and a code of conduct. we didn't gang up or go six to one ever, usually it was the odds against us.Our rule was no one runs, no matter what, and as far as l remember that always was the case.

So to finish, may l again say, we are not or were not all morons,bullies or racists and they were good days and a learning curve that has shaped my life.

Well said Reesh its a good job there were some decent living people Ihate to think what things be like if we had all been YOBS

Thats one of the reasons why Iand many more like me emigrate

other countries have their fair share of "violent" skinheads too

australia (ever seen romper stomper :P class film) canada, america, germany, italy etc etc

other countries have their fair share of "violent" skinheads too

australia (ever seen romper stomper :P class film) canada, america, germany, italy etc etc

Not here in Aussie old love. Board shorts, T shirt and thongs (flip flops) thats our national dress. The only skinheads are not by choice. Soooooooo peacefull here in Queensland I even park my car with the keys in.

What amazes me, is the number of people who are so proud of their violent past, even with age they have come to know no better. Many of these people will be parents now, so are we suprised at how our youth are now turning out.

hi no 1 machinest

So do i,did'nt realise you lived in qld, where do you live.

I had long hair & lived at Hunters Bar. I remember a gang of about 12 or 15 skins coming into Endcliffe Park one day. They were apparently from the Crosspool area and started taunting me & my three mates. I could have done without the bother (or bovva) to be honest, but one of my mates was a little loopy at times and decided to give them a scrap. We ran forward with him and the skins just ran (to my amazement). I caught up with one who had tried to hide in someone's outside bog (possibly on Riverdale Road). When I opened the door he was cowering at the side of the toilet on the floor. I didn't have the heart to do anything to him. Some of the gobby ones who could run fast & were way up the street shouted that they would be back the next Saturday in larger numbers. Well that seemed fine to us and we lurked about in the park but they never showed.

Just as a follow-up to my above post, I think we had a situation that was fairly unique. At Hunters Bar there was a real mix of us that used to congregate in Endcliffe Park. When I say a mix, I mean us with long hair as well as skins along with others who didn't really fit into any particular catagory. Amazingly we got on fine and didn't fight each other at all. In fact the park was 'our turf' and frequently we joined forces against gangs from other areas. The prime objective was to protect our turf. So, if a group of skins came from another area they were pretty gobsmacked to find that other skins would side with us rather than them.

One example of this was when I got beaten up in Millhouses Park by a group of skinheads. I was in hospital for a short while but when I was ok a load of us went over for a bit of retribution. I think we must have looked quite an amazing sight.

I was skinhead girl in the early 80's, best days of my life, I was never in any fights or saw any of my mates involved in any violence, we used to keep out of trouble best we could and just had a good laugh together, shaved head wiv a fringe we'd ask for at scotts barbers on the wicker, our dress code (girls)was monkey boots/ porkpie shoes, Smart Rs jeans, white Fred Perry n silk green/ blue pilot jacket, we all looked very smart!

most of our time was spent on the gallery at the markets, the showboat, the friery, pond street (does anyone remember THE FOUR SEASONS cafe? it was gr8 for a cuppa,) or the hole in the road, sometimes we'd go up to spring street where they started a youth club for us,i spent many nights playing pool there, then later onto the marples n the barrow boys pubs. We all seemed to take over the fair at Hillsborough too when it came to town!

I remember all the old crowd who i've not seen for many years, China, Briggsy, Gibby (RIP), Neville, Adolf, Mezzy, Drid, Tommy, Kenty, Casper, Andy G, Pete C, Ant, Steve, Turtle, Dicko, Razor, Gally, Gary A, Gary P, Scodger, Daz, Datz, Norman, Willy, Mozzle, Webbo, Froggy, Coley (RIP), Wayne n Tony Anderson, Zonny, Sammy, Trish, Jackie, Adele, Joanne, Traci, Trina, Mel, Murphy, Bev, Lynne, Dawn, Jane, Jill, Jet, Debs, Kate, Diane to name only a few, i often wonder what they're up to now, i'm just a regular 30 something working mum (with very long hair!) hoping my kids dont turn out like i did lol!!! ;)

oh, what fun we had, but at the time it seemed so bad, trying different ways to make a difference to the days!!!

Anyone ive forgot?, please let me know :)