Sheffield skinheads in the 80s

When the skinheads first startd hanging about about 1970 they used have one leader and aload of little punks around him (or so it seemed). The answer if they tried to cause 'bovver' was to give the leader agood belting and the others just melted away. they could only fight when the odds wre well stacked in their favour.

Originally posted by artisan

When the skinheads first startd hanging about about 1970 they used have one leader and aload of little punks around him (or so it seemed). The answer if they tried to cause 'bovver' was to give the leader agood belting and the others just melted away. they could only fight when the odds wre well stacked in their favour.

they could only fight when the odds wre well stacked in their favour

Spot on, artisan. It's the same with the "little sh*ts" these days too....if it's not 6 to 1 in their favour, they don't want to know.

i remmeber a mate from the wap being asked to skin up by adolf too lol

I was and still am a skinhead in the mid 70's up to present. The catch to this is about the philosophy and the culture that was present at the time.

I believe that the things l learned at the time have eventually shaped me into the person l am now.

I think there has always been a "blind ignorance" about skinheads, especially the link between being a skinhead and being a racist. When l was a teenager l can hardly remember one incident(of which there were many)of a fight starting with anyone over colour. Religion yes, especially during the late 70's and early 80's with the IRA mainland campaign.

However l came out of this ok,l have a great self-reliance, am a good parent, have a good judgement(l'm told) and have a lot of respect for others and am quite well respected.I don't get into trouble either.

I still believe in all the values l learned as a kid,from people who taught me about respecting my friends and learning about history and music and culture.

Don't believe all the hype about skinheads being "thick" racists, we are not.

Back again for more l'm afraid.After studying a few more posts l must have missed something.There were Skinheads and pretenders, the later wearing 30 hole DM's, short jeans and the disgusting green bomber jackets.

My DM's, when l wore them were 16 holes, l wore jeans or Levi Sta-pressed trousers, Harrington jackets, or Cashmere Crombie style coats.I owned a Bowler hat, leather gloves and expensive brogues and Oxford shoes, as well as Ben sherman shirts or Fred Perry tops.

The Barrow Boy's pub was a place for the pretender's unfortunately, our gang was a composition of Mod's, Suede heads and Skins. we used to meet in the old Saddle Inn on West Street and frequent pubs and clubs around the city centre, Abbeydale Road and London Road. We weren't bullies, had morals and a code of conduct. we didn't gang up or go six to one ever, usually it was the odds against us.Our rule was no one runs, no matter what, and as far as l remember that always was the case.

So to finish, may l again say, we are not or were not all morons,bullies or racists and they were good days and a learning curve that has shaped my life.

Reesch

You guys seem alright, but you must have been in a different universe. The skin heads I remember were not like that at all.

But we are all a lot older now so live and live, we have greater enemies on the door step eh?

You're not wrong there, another fact was l used to and still ride a motorcycle.I had mates classed as "Hairies" by the skins, abit of a mixed youth l suppose.Long live rock n roll, l agree live and let live.

Reesh

i was skin heads in 1979-1983 best days of my life...."showboat skins"

go big kev

i was one of your era skinheads.it was quite different back then,was;nt it.

do you remember the ben sherman shirts and doc martins.

oh the inocence of youth"

Skins seemed to start in the late 60's. I was 17 in 1970 when I thought it might be a good idea to have a number three. My dad showed me what bover was as he kicked seven shades out of me for doing it. Bought Dockers,wrangler denims and a checked shirt all set off with a pair of clip on bracers.Took the wisest descision and grew it into suede head. Levi stay-pressed came out later two tone even later than that, and were worn with ben sherman shirts and a nice pair of royals brogues or Batas. The crombie was optional but if worn must be accompanied by red folded hankie umbrella and bluebeat hat. Dead smart.

The bowling alley on Queens road seemed to be a prefered hangout for skins and mods at the end of the 60's.

hi no 1machinest

Was that the bowling alley with the skaking rink and the nightclub upstairs.

forget what it was called,knocked back a couple of barley wines there,no photo id back then.

oh the memories.I work in a backpackers hostel in australia now, and meet so many POMs its great I love it.Even getting my accent back.