Washing machine - what are 'unsociable hours'?

It is if it makes a racket which inconveniences your neighbours. If it doesn't do so, then fine. That's the difference.

Actually, it wouldn't save energy, just how much you pay for it.

If I recall correctly, economy 7 uses spare capacity in the grid much of the time (turbines have to be kept spooling, so the electric is still being generated in the small hours) - so I'd argue it does save energy.

That aside, I sleep with my head against the utility room wall, and have the washing machine on at all hours... it's yet to annoy me, but I'd imagine if it was upstairs, it would. I try not to vaccum once it's gone dark outside :P

Our nexr door neighbour who gets up around 0530am used to put her washing machine on at the crack of dawn including 0530am Boxing day morning, the spin cycle used to vibrate in our house.

All this was accompanied by the toilet being flushed up to half a dozen times before 0730am.

Not being funny, but my washing machine is not very noisy. I put it on when ever I remember and have never even considered the noise. I can't hear it in the next room if the door is closed. I wouldn't worry too much about the letter if you don't think it was aimed at you.

you can't run the machine when you're not at home.

You can, just plug a timer in.

Simples.