Washing machine - what are 'unsociable hours'?

I received a letter from my local council today which had been sent to my whole block of 9 flats. Apparently it has been brought to their attention that resident(s) are using their washing machines at 'unsociable hours'. This letter goes on to state that it is causing noise disturbances to other residents and that washing machines should only be used between 9am and 9pm.

Now, like many people I work full time and leave at 7.30am and usually return around 8pm. This means that if I need to do washing during the week it usually goes on shortly after this and runs until after 9pm. It simply isn't practical to confine all of my washing to the weekends - not least because I share a flat and it would mean the machine was running constantly for two days which would surely be more annoying?

I suppose I don't really have a point, but surely these 'unsociable hours' of 9-9 are unreasonable? I wouldn't even question it if they had said 7am-10pm. I don't run my machine past 9pm every night, not even once per week, and I'm certain the letter isn't aimed at my particular property, but who has the right to say you cannot run your washing machine in your own home past 9pm or put it on as you're leaving home for work?

Guest sibon
I received a letter from my local council today which had been sent to my whole block of 9 flats. Apparently it has been brought to their attention that resident(s) are using their washing machines at 'unsociable hours'. This letter goes on to state that it is causing noise disturbances to other residents and that washing machines should only be used between 9am and 9pm.

Now, like many people I work full time and leave at 7.30am and usually return around 8pm. This means that if I need to do washing during the week it usually goes on shortly after this and runs until after 9pm. It simply isn't practical to confine all of my washing to the weekends - not least because I share a flat and it would mean the machine was running constantly for two days which would surely be more annoying?

I suppose I don't really have a point, but surely these 'unsociable hours' of 9-9 are unreasonable? I wouldn't even question it if they had said 7am-10pm. I don't run my machine past 9pm every night, not even once per week, and I'm certain the letter isn't aimed at my particular property, but who has the right to say you cannot run your washing machine in your own home past 9pm or put it on as you're leaving home for work?

I think 9-9 is about right. If you have any very young, or old neighbours, they might be in bed early, or get up late.

Does your machine have a timer? Many do. If not, you can get one that plugs into the socket. Set it to run in the day.

As an aside. I went on holiday to a little village in the South of France last year. They had a law that you could only use the washing machine between 9pm and 9am, to even out water usage. I think that you have the better of the two options:)

Edited by sibon

"Should normally only be used between 9am and 9pm"?

"Should normally only be used between 9am and 9pm"?

Nope, I quote - "I would like to advise that washing machines should only be used from 9.00am until 9.00pm".

Nope, I quote - "I would like to advise that washing machines should only be used from 9.00am until 9.00pm".

Well I can't think of a legal reason why that could be enforced rigidly. There again, it wouldn't be. It's also a very specific noise abatement matter as well.

Equally, if we're going to get all pernicketty (well, if I am anyway :D), 'should' implies a sort of buffer zone. So long as it's not on at 3:30am, that's the point.

I always run my washing machine and dishwasher at night, my washing machine is at the other side of the house and i'm in an End terrace house so its not a problem.

What if you work odd shifts and thats the only time you can wash?

Well I can't think of a legal reason why that could be enforced rigidly.

I think noise abatement orders are a matter of interpretation. Still, I consider it highly unlikely that any such order would be granted because the OP is continually flouting this request and running his washing machine at the ungodly hour of 9.20pm. :D

Well I can't think of a legal reason why that could be enforced rigidly. There again, it wouldn't be. It's also a very specific noise abatement matter as well.

Equally, if we're going to get all pernicketty (well, if I am anyway :D), 'should' implies a sort of buffer zone. So long as it's not on at 3:30am, that's the point.

I hope so - I would never be that antisocial and do always take the time (and the likely finish time of the machine) into consideration when I put it on - I would never start it after 10pm under any circumstances. As I said, I'm certain it isn't aimed my flat specifically, but I can't help but feel a letter with such prescribed and unreasonable timings on it is more likely to get people's backs up than get them to be more considerate.

I think from a neighbourly-spirit point of view, it's fairly clear that you are not simply uncaring about making noise late at night; you have little choice, and you're at least keeping at as early as you reasonably can.

I agree that the letter, as you've quoted it, has been poorly written.

I think noise abatement orders are a matter of interpretation. Still, I consider it highly unlikely that any such order would be granted because the OP is continually flouting this request and running his washing machine at the ungodly hour of 9.20pm. :D

I'll point out again this (I'm assuming) a noise abatement order as it doesn't state this on the letter and was sent to 9 properties - I think it's just a letter of advice but I don't want to end up getting an NAO just for running my machine at 8am in the week because they now consider we've all had a 'warning'!

I would say that it would not be unreasonable to set the washer going from around 7 am, which, on most standard cycles, would mean it was on spin-cycle (when it's about its noisiest) at roughly 8am... and that, at the other end of the day, it would be OK for the machine to finish about 9.30-ish (going on the time you'd be setting the machine going when getting in from work)

I try to ensure that I don't have noise from the washer or the vacuum cleaner after about 8pm/ 9pm, as my neighbours have a child of 10. I don't want to disturb her, even though her parents say that she sleeps "like the dead" and that "an earthquake wouldn't wake her, once she's gone off!". I still don't want to take a chance.

I would say it all depends on how good the soundproofing is between the storeys of the block.

Some blocks of flats are better constructed than others. My old flat had a solid, concrete floor, no floorboards, so the washing machine machine was quite quiet. Had it been floorboards, then it would have bounced about a lot more, and would have been very noisy.

I'll point out again this (I'm assuming) a noise abatement order as it doesn't state this on the letter and was sent to 9 properties - I think it's just a letter of advice but I don't want to end up getting an NAO just for running my machine at 8am in the week because they now consider we've all had a 'warning'!

No, you're quite right, this is not a noise abatement order. That would - I think - be the next step, and I highly doubt that they'd enforce it for going over by a quarter-hour every so often when you don't even get home from work until 8.