Benji keeps rolling in poo!!

Twice this week have I had to fashion a poncho out of a binliner so he can sit in the car, because he keeps rolling in turd. Rabbit poo (not so bad), sheep poo, (bit smelly but bareable), with fox poo being his favourite (and most repulsive!) This has been going on since we got him but only since we started using my car has it become a problem (to me, anyway :hihi:)

WHY does he do it? He likes a good roll in the grass out in the countryside but he purposely looks for poo. I've even caught him eating it before :gag:

He's a bit of a fruitloop anyway but this is really irritating, we had to make a head hole, and four leg holes in a bin liner the other day because he was about to roll all over the back seat of my car.

Any suggestions why he does this, or how we can get him to stop? We tell him off but i'm fairly certain he has selective memory when it comes to this - he is brilliant with everything else!

Thanks

Keep him on a lead? :hihi:

Mine do it too, I should own shares in Tomato Ketchup!

My jack russell percy does it, especially with rabbit poo and tries to eat sheep poo which is vile, there scruffy little buggers lol no amount of telling off stops him or pulling him away when hes on the lead

I assume its to cover the scent of them, as labs are hunting dogs, but it doesn't make it less minging.

Peaches - so is it true that gets rid of the smell better?

if you dog is rolling in poo i would also watch out because of fox mange

Yes, no idea why but I find it neutralises the smell and gets the pooh out of the coat easier

tess diamond is a serious roller too poo or anything else equally minging and smelly will do if poo isnt avaliable.

she once rolled in a dead rabbit carrcass that was severly rotten when i was walking her at ford bottom. that was the worst one yet i gagged in the car all the way home with all the windows and the sunroof open.

sometimes i just use the foam dry shanpoo if im in a rush with her been short furred there doesnt tend to be anything stuck in so that saves bathin her all the time. im going to try the ketchup tip though

i dont think you can stop them apart from keeping on lead like peaches says they are disgusting little creatures at times arent they i often wonder why we have them then remember its cos they are so funny cute and loving even if they are a bit stinky

ps watch out for horse poo that is particularly bad and doubles up as a snack if its fresh

Phew - luckily he doesn't seem to pay much interest in horse poo, but he will eat most other poo if he hasn't already rolled in it - eugh, I can't believe I let him lick me, I must be mad!!

hahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry, but that is so funny.

hahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry, but that is so funny.

You try cleaning it off then, ill send him round tomorrow ;)

One of mine loves nothing better than a good roll on a dead hedgehog or mouse - she looks at me as if to say guess what I've found and before you can get to her she is away rolling in it :gag: we found taking a squirty water bottle with us has stopped most rolls but she still manages to find the occasional one :hihi:

One of our dogs love horse poo and comes in stinking, we never bath our dogs though otherwise we would be doing it everyday, they get covered in mud and all sorts plus they are white!