Football team for 5 year old to join?

:) Hi all,

Looking for a football team for a 5 year old to join, is there any about in Sheffield?

I have seen teams for the over 7 years, but none for any younger. Just wondered if there was any, if so where?

Thank You

Personally, I think 5 is a tad too early for your son to be playing football for a team. Most 5yr olds can't kick a ball properly at that age. So, I'd have him concentrate on his ball control etc, before you even contemplate him joining a team.

what area are you in?

Ashleigh Spires used to have a good kiddies' team.

Personally, I think 5 is a tad too early for your son to be playing football for a team. Most 5yr olds can't kick a ball properly at that age. So, I'd have him concentrate on his ball control etc, before you even contemplate him joining a team.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you there. Rooney was playing from this age, and joined his first acadamy at age 10. Besides, my brother is five and he is really really good (although I may be biased!)

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you there. Rooney was playing from this age, and joined his first acadamy at age 10. Besides, my brother is five and he is really really good (although I may be biased!)

One of the reasons why this country don't have many world class players is that they start kids playing in teams at far too early an age,before they have learnt basic ball control. Look at all the continental sides in the world cup..they are streets ahead of British players in all-round ball skills.

How many keepy-uppies can your brother do?

but rooney didnt join a team until he was about 8/9 not 5 years old

You could have replaced Rooney with a 5 year-old tonight.

The nursery teams usually from under 7s but they really only play friendlies until they are under 9s then the games count in the league.my boys go to trickywingers at Tapton school on monday night and is especially for 5-to 7 so they can learn ball skills

You could have replaced Rooney with a 5 year-old tonight.

you wouldnt have known the difference he looked like he had never played before and wasnt interested

I thought that, didn't even notice the ball until it had rolled past him!

It would be nice to be able to find a class that practice even ball control. There is very little out there for little ones. The best thing I can recommend that is ball-related is Playball Yorkshire. My son LOVES it. It is by far the most structured ball-play out there. It is run by two Sheffield Eagles players. They do fun ball-exercises whilst us parents have a rest on the side lines. I tried the United Academy, but it is a load of dross. The 'coaches' don't do anything. It is the parents that do all the running around. As a mother with no ball skills whatsoever, I was SORELY disappointed. What the hell do you pay for if the coaches just stand and chat, and I have to make up my own ball games for my son?????? Come on United. Do some work!

:) Hi all,

Looking for a football team for a 5 year old to join, is there any about in Sheffield?

I have seen teams for the over 7 years, but none for any younger. Just wondered if there was any, if so where?

Thank You

I think Kids that age are not allowed to play competetive football because of F.A rules (may have changed), My son is 5 and a superb footballer for his age but we dont moind waiting 2 more yrs. You should take him up to the transport club at Meadowhead at 9am on a saturday morning, the coaches are good and the grouops they play in are pretty small.

They satrt with ball skills then onto shooting,passing and finish with a game.

I will warn you to stay away from Sheffield United academy!! my son at 5 was put in groups with 8-9yrs old's, the group's had way to many kids for the coaches and you will be lucky in your son get's 5mins attention or proper support from the coach, When they played games at the end my son was just stood watchinh because all the kids were twice his size and twice has strong. I took out after a few weeks because it was an absoloute waste of time and money, the guy who my son goes with now is miles better than any coach i have seen at United but that's probably to do with the amount of kids they have at United.