Bolting onions..

Ah right. I'm growing onions for the first time and the foilage is pretty high..is this normal? The onions appear to be growing and the top of them has pushed through the soil...should I be worried?

Ah right. I'm growing onions for the first time and the foilage is pretty high..is this normal? The onions appear to be growing and the top of them has pushed through the soil...should I be worried?

Not unless some of them are much higher than the others.

You'll get quite a lot of foliage anyway

When youre happy with the size of them gently bend it over and let the sun do its work.

When i used to grow them we used to microwave the smaller ones for about three minutes and then into the oven for about twenty minutes.Delicious,sweeter than apples.

Happy growing and enjoy.

Brilliant, thanks for the pointers, appreciate it.

it's the flower spikes that show it's bolting kitty.

anyone know if its too late to plant out sets... please.... :)

I read that japanese onions should be planted in June, but it might be worth just having a go if they're going to go to waste otherwise.

thanks hayley - might have to give it a go - just didnt want them taking up room if there was no hope!

Arghh...as of yesterday a load of mine have sent up flower spikes. I've just snipped em off and hope for the best.

My garlic look ok and most of my white onions, its mainly the red ones.

Hmph. I was about to start a thread to ask advice on my bolted red onions, but found this! So to be clear...I don't have to pull them up?