Bolting onions..

Hi all

I have got 120 onions growing, 60 white and 60 red, all from bulb (only cheapos from ASDA). Some have toppled over a little and I was intending to bulk round the bulb with some more soil, however I have noticed that 3 of the reds have buds on the central stalk...what should I do?

Are they best pulled out and chucked?

Is it worth snipping the bud off and leaving them to grow?

Alternatively could I keep them and get the seeds planting next year, if I do this would I need to separate them from the other onions?

Thanks in advance...

it usually happens when we have a period of hot dry weather early in the season. You can still use them, cut off the bud, but leave the stem on so you know which ones to, a use first because they don't store as well. For some reason, reds are more prone to bolting. (for me at least)

You could try autumn sets.

mmmmm mine (red) are also bolting. I pinch the flowering tip off and leave them as long as possible

Pretty much all of mine have bolted, and all my garlic :(

I've nipped out the flowers, but I'm now left with 50 onions and 30odd garlic that won't store, its gonna be lots of chutney, onion marmalade and frozen garlic for us....

Well at least it's not something I'm doing! Will pinch off the tips and keep an eye on them.

Thanks for the advice!

All mine have bolted as well must be a common thing, can you use red onion when making tomato soup?

To stop bolting water well in dry weather

I've had the same with red onions, so I don't grow them anymore. I've also read that if the temperature drops to below -4c it can cause onions to bolt.

All mine have bolted as well must be a common thing, can you use red onion when making tomato soup?

Yes you can - I always do!

whilst on the subject of onions I have found quite a number of sets in my shed that I had intended to plant out and they have been forgotten about! Ooops! Is it too late to put them in - or is it worth giving them a go?

Excuse my ignorance here, but what exactly is "bolting"?

How do you know when it has happened?

Excuse my ignorance here, but what exactly is "bolting"?

How do you know when it has happened?

Its when the bulb throws up lots of foliage but doesn't bulk up.