Sheffield students

What do you think of students  

136 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of students

• They do my nut in, thinking they are better then the workers
    • I like them, they bring culture
    • They should clean up thier mess and integrete more
    • I dont really care

i think they bring vibrancy to the city. one thing i will say though is that the areas they live in are often strewn with litter, takeaway boxes, broken bottles, bins left out and overfilled with rubbish. iknow this from experience, my dad lives off ecclesall road in a big student area. i think the council nedds to have wardens or similar in these areas to clean up and charge the landlords more conucil tax, after all their making good money from the students

I came to Sheffield to study six years ago, although I had a loan I did not receive any grants so all the money I was given I will have to pay back. I have stayed in the city and bought a property that I am doing up. As well as working in the public sector I also volunteer and am therefore contributing to the city. From my last pay cheque I paid well over £1,000 in taxes and student loan contributions.

I really love this city and for that reason I want to invest in it but views like some of those expressed below make me want to upsticks and take my skills back to my home town.

Oh, and to the guy who says we all come and spoil the city and then leave as soon as we graduate you might be interested to know that Sheffield has the highest graduate retention rate out of any university city in Britain.

My bold

Which does make you wonder about some of the "born and bred" Sheffielders who can do nothing but slag the place off!

I've come across some students who are total and absolute Richard Edwards, arrogant, ignorant, childish, inconsiderate and a total pain. But I've also come across Civil Servants like that, and people in shops or in the Peak District, or on a train.

Just like I've come across people in those groups who are considerate, friendly, helpful and downright lovely.

I really wanted to go to Uni, but lacked any sort of encouragement from my parents, so never got there. But I don't begrudge those who were/are luckier than me the opportunity to get the education I couldn't.

As a student living here it was a bit of a culture shock as it was the first time i've lived away from home, so perhaps certain things like the bin getting put out/taken in on time didn't always happen and i'm sure it was annoying for our next door neighbours.

However as i've lived here longer i've got the know some of the neighbours who aren't students. I've also tried to make an effort with the garden, so it wasn't just the tangle of weeds it was before I moved in. I think alot of the mess people see is down to students (or any young people) living away from home for the first time and not knowing exactly how things are done. You learn from your mistakes.

As a student living here it was a bit of a culture shock as it was the first time i've lived away from home, so perhaps certain things like the bin getting put out/taken in on time didn't always happen and i'm sure it was annoying for our next door neighbours.

However as i've lived here longer i've got the know some of the neighbours who aren't students. I've also tried to make an effort with the garden, so it wasn't just the tangle of weeds it was before I moved in. I think alot of the mess people see is down to students (or any young people) living away from home for the first time and not knowing exactly how things are done. You learn from your mistakes.

My bold

Very true! When I worked at Moorfoot, I derived a great deal of amusement and entertainment from earwigging the conversations of students, as they stood in the kitchen section of Poundland, trying to work out what all the utensils were and whether they would need one or not!!

I think a short course on coping on your own should be compulsory at all schools - whether pupils intend to go onto Uni or not. So many young people these days don't seem to know how to do the most basic things - they've been ferried round by mum or dad and had everything done for them at home and are completely at sea when it comes to doing things for themselves.

Just basic things - like how to read the washing instructions on clothes, and not to mix whites and non-fast coloureds, etc, or how to change a fuse or plug, and what a fusebox (or whatever they're called these days) looks like and the importance of making sure you take meter readings when you move into your own place, so you don't end up paying for somebody else's gas and electric.

My bold

I've come across some students who are total and absolute Richard Edwards, arrogant, ignorant, childish, inconsiderate and a total pain. But I've also come across Civil Servants like that, and people in shops or in the Peak District, or on a train.

Who is Richard Edwards? Or should I have gone to University and found that out?

Looking at that intelligible stream of drivel I am guessing you never went to university?

no i didnt i went to college for 3 years doing a appentiship and got a job at the end of it you dont need to go to uni to be intelligent dont rekon any old tom dick or harry could do my job

lol sheffield forum allways seems to be bashing either students/taxi or bus drivers/everything under the sun. I am a medical student and i love it here.Although some people are real wackjobs

I like students

no i didnt i went to college for 3 years doing a appentiship and got a job at the end of it you dont need to go to uni to be intelligent dont rekon any old tom dick or harry could do my job

Well you know what everyone thinks about college students doing apprenticeships.

scumbags dirty tramps they treat where they live/drink like a tip i know they do bring allota small amount of money into sheff economy but they turn nice areas into s**t holes then bugger of with there degreeNVQ and go get a job sumwhere else. and most of the time they arent doing a course that has any relevance to a carreerstacking shelves
It's funny isn't it, how your prejudices can be offensive when pointed at yourself... Edited by Cyclone

Why is though that a lot of students act as if they are better then the locals though?

Good for you. I went to uni for 3 years and got a job at the end of it. You don't need to do an apprenticeship to get a worthwhile job. I don't think any Tom, Dick or Harry could do my job.

Sort of shoots your origional point out the water, no?

Why is though that a lot of students act as if they are better then the locals though?

Rubbish. The vast majority of students are 18-21. You get a lot of cocky kids that age regardless of if they are at uni or not.

Equally you get a lot of well balanced more reserved kids, both at uni and not.