Amigos Mexican kitchen , London Road

good!

but what a coincidence they chose such a similar name, and appearance, for the place eh? You'd have thought that they would want to distance themselves from the previously failed venture and make it obviously new and different.

I'm still a little suspicious I have to admit...:suspect:

I wouldn't be. I am almost certain that the two businesses have nothing to do with each other. As for appearance I wouldn't blame a new restaurant for making the most of a previous restaurant's decor. There has got to be something to be said for delaying costs in a refurb until you know that you've got the food/concept right.

I wouldn't be. I am almost certain that the two businesses have nothing to do with each other. As for appearance I wouldn't blame a new restaurant for making the most of a previous restaurant's decor. There has got to be something to be said for delaying costs in a refurb until you know that you've got the food/concept right.

I agree that, with any business, you have to beware of "cash-burners" - things that you spend money on that don't necessarily bring money in to the business and if you can identify those things and keep them to a minimum whilst you build up your trade then that makes very good sense.

However, "branding" for want of a better word, is very, very important. It wouldn't have cost anything to make the name markedly different for a start -and the external appearance could have been made to look very different from the previous as well, at little extra cost.

I've driven past and my first reaction to it was that this was some kind of "cosmetic change" and that it's still the same place ran by the same people, because it looks and sounds very similar to what it did before - except it's now got "Amigo's" in the title and proclaims to be Mexican.

I know I'm not alone in thinking this. I was out with a few folks about 3 weeks ago now and they were discussing the various places on London Road (Zeugma, Noodle Inn, Pho 69, Thai Punna etc). They go out quite regularly on that stretch and have their various opinions on different places. I must admit, I don't tend to eat out on London road too often, but I was interested to hear their views.

The "Irish Kitchen" came up and to be fair the opinions were mixed - then one guy said, "well, it's calling itself "Mexican" now" and everyone laughed. They saw it, pretty much as I'd seen it, as a bit of a facelift and a way to try and bring in a different set of customers by pretending to be something different to what it was before.

I think that's a mistake. But, presumably the owners have their reasons and good luck to them. I hope it's a success.

Amigos - Your food is great masha'Allah!! ... we've been many times and are never disappointed.

Are you planning on expanding at any time soon? There have been a number of occasions we have wanted to come as a large group but the thought of getting there and there not being enough space has sadly put us off :(

It would be great if you do!

thanks for great comments about our food , Iam glad that you like our food , we are looking at expanding insha allah ,but to be honest i am not sure how long it will take as it depends on lot of other things but i am hoping it will be in 2012. we started in 2010 as a small takeaway with couple of tables but thanks to all you guys for the great response we were able to refurbish ( twice ) & now we can seat over 30 people , as business is growing Most of our regular customers are telling me the same thing that we need a bigger place as they find it difficult to get bookings at times , Hopefully if things go well we will have a bigger place.

thanks,

Amigos Mexican Kitchen

good!

but what a coincidence they chose such a similar name, and appearance, for the place eh? You'd have thought that they would want to distance themselves from the previously failed venture and make it obviously new and different.

I'm still a little suspicious I have to admit...:suspect:

There is no need to be suspicious , Amigos has got nothing to do with Irish kitchen, i am the chef owner of Amigos & i can assure you it is noway linked with previous business , in fact Irish Kitchen closed & then someone opened it as Halo Cafe for some time , i guess they were here for very short time though , we took the place in June 2010 . we liked the way it looks so we spend whatever we felt was important as this is our first restaurant, it was more like a cafe takeaway with a counter fridge & couple of tables previously, we have slowly built on it & now we are more like a small restaurant.

You should visit our restaurant & i am sure you will enjoy the food & service we provide.

Thanks,

Amigos Mexican Kitchen

The "Irish Kitchen" came up and to be fair the opinions were mixed - then one guy said, "well, it's calling itself "Mexican" now" and everyone laughed. They saw it, pretty much as I'd seen it, as a bit of a facelift and a way to try and bring in a different set of customers by pretending to be something different to what it was before.

I think that's a mistake. But, presumably the owners have their reasons and good luck to them. I hope it's a success.

It's been a success for quite a while now, if the long waiting times for food deliveries are anything to go by! The food is better than in most of the Tex-Mex places I tried in the South-West US this summer.

If you prefer to judge solely by outward appearance, you will be missing quite a treat here (and in East and West, Dhanisthas, Caspian, etc).

I agree that, with any business, you have to beware of "cash-burners" - things that you spend money on that don't necessarily bring money in to the business and if you can identify those things and keep them to a minimum whilst you build up your trade then that makes very good sense.

However, "branding" for want of a better word, is very, very important. It wouldn't have cost anything to make the name markedly different for a start -and the external appearance could have been made to look very different from the previous as well, at little extra cost.

I've driven past and my first reaction to it was that this was some kind of "cosmetic change" and that it's still the same place ran by the same people, because it looks and sounds very similar to what it did before - except it's now got "Amigo's" in the title and proclaims to be Mexican.

I know I'm not alone in thinking this. I was out with a few folks about 3 weeks ago now and they were discussing the various places on London Road (Zeugma, Noodle Inn, Pho 69, Thai Punna etc). They go out quite regularly on that stretch and have their various opinions on different places. I must admit, I don't tend to eat out on London road too often, but I was interested to hear their views.

It's totally different. Different owners, different food, doesnt look anything like Bohans either inside or out. One was a cafe this is now a restaurant.

It's totally different. Different owners, different food, doesnt look anything like Bohans either inside or out. One was a cafe this is now a restaurant.

I concur I used to occasionally take a sandwich from Bohans when working nearby and very good it was too. However this was owned by the brother of one of the owners of Nonna's and was just a daytime sandwich shop /cafe. I now order via just eat takeaways at night from Amigos and very good these are too.

I concur I used to occasionally take a sandwich from Bohans when working nearby and very good it was too. However this was owned by the brother of one of the owners of Nonna's and was just a daytime sandwich shop /cafe. I now order via just eat takeaways at night from Amigos and very good these are too.

Yes, it was owned by Jan Bohan's brother.

Amigos is loads better. Love the online ordering too. Viva Amigos!!!

Nice food at reasonable price - been there couple of times and it was good as expected.

Still love this place:love: - glad to see you are still thriving

I've ordered from there twice in the past few weeks since reading good reviews on here! Fantastic food. Would like to maybe see something other than steak and chicken on the meat side of things. I spent 3 months in Mexico last year and had a lot of chorizo and pork... so maybe something for the future? Still, great food at very reasonable prices.