Get job seekers allowance while on holiday?

Did anyone actually correctly answer the question in the thread title before it descended into the usual SF slanging match?

Reason I ask is that I'd like to take a good friend of mine on a long-distance walking holiday for a week, but he's on Jobseeker's allowance and the only week I can get off work is his signing on week. A google search throws up several forums where it's suggested that those in receipt of JSA can still claim benefits whilst on holiday in the UK, but I can't find anything official anywhere.

You can't claim JSA while on holiday for the simple reason you aren't actually looking for work.

I believe you're allowed 14 days holiday on JSA. Probably best to not tell them if at all possible, due to the fact that their admin tend to make mistakes when reporting minor changes like this.

However, if that's not possible, for example, the holiday is on a signing day, then just ask them for a holiday form and fill it in.

You can still claim whilst your away with a few caveats

1) You must fill out one of the 'going away forms' at the job centre before you go

2) You must be available to return if the offer of a job is made

3) JSA will not be paid until you return as they need to make sure you haven't run off

4) You will have to go into the job centre on the first day following your return.

I agree that benefits are a necessary thing and that the fat cats swindling the country is disgusting.

But benefits should be to enable people who can't work to have shelter, warmth and to be well nourished. Not for them to take holidays.

Where is the incentive to work if you have a lifestyle on benefits that allows you to have holidays?

wow major contradiction! people who can't work still can't work dispite incentives otherwise it would be people who won't work not can't.

and are you saying that people who can't work should never have a holiday?

In good times, I'd agree, it's fairly easy to find a job - at the moment, not so much. I have it from a reliable source that when a vacancy for shift work at a petrol station (£6/hr, 12 hour shifts) came up, there were 350 applications in the space of a week.

I'd imagine a fair percentage of those will have a degree, work experience and vocational skills. There is no way that someone who has either never had a job (thinking student-leavers here), or who has been unemployed for more than 3 or 4 months is going to be at the top of the list.

Quite. And I think you'll find that most people wishing they could afford a holiday despite working, aren't aiming for a foreign holiday.

I was looking for B&Bs in Scarborough yesterday - one little family run B&B would cost us £469 for 7 days £335 for 5 days. And that's for just me and the two children, hubby knows how much we want a holiday and said it would be cheaper for him to stay behind.

Caravans on the Yorkshire coast are at least £400+ a week in the summer, some even go up to £700!!

But I also believe a holiday is not a right, it's is a luxury. And if that luxury can be afforded when you're receiving state benefits then state benefit is too generous.

travel lodge and premier inn are having a huge blow out sale on rooms all over the country between now and january rooms from 25p per night (family rooms sleep 4)

On the dole or not, everyone should be entitled to an holiday.

Why, what makes anyone entitled to one? Surely a holiday is a privilege, not a right.

What rubbish you speak, its thier choice to spend thier money as they see fit.

Define 'their money' please.

Because tax and National Insurance have created a welfare state where the unemployed are given money to keep them out of dire poverty. If the unemployed choose to spend that money on a holiday it is their choice

Ah choice, the buzzword of the last ten years. As part of the millions paying for this it's my choice to say no holiday. Being unemployed should be a temporary state during which life is not 'normal'. It is not a lifestyle and therefore does not contain lifestyle choices. If someone can explain why it does then I'm all ears. Before anyone tells me I'm wrong ask yourself what the masses would say if it was put to a referendum.

Ah choice, the buzzword of the last ten years. As part of the millions paying for this

I went to Dublin this weekend and a friend who came with us is unemployed. He had a great job and has saved a lot, his wife works, and his Dad has just died and i'm presuming that he left his son some inheritence.

Should my friend not get jobseekers? He has worked and paid his tax, he is entitled to it. Should he not go on holiday for a few days? If he can afford it then what is stopping him? The welfare state is a safety net, not a punishment.

Some here talk like "the dole" is a club for lazy scroungers and it isn't true. If people are on jobseekers benefit then there is nothing to stop them from taking an holiday if they can afford it. I'm sure 99% of the people on Jobseekers would love an holiday but can't afford it. That is the true reality of being unemployed.