Memories of Woodthorpe area

I lived at 43 Fitzhubert from 1975 to 1977

If i ever went to Skeggy no matter what time of year i saw one of the Underhays .Every time man.

• Like 1

some of them have ther own vans down there now gary fatty steven so thay are down there every weekend

Hey Courtney our Debs has still not come over told you so LOL

Sam are you there talk to U.T.

I remember the ravine at the back of St Theresas School, I can remember the air vents from the pit up on the hill where the then new woodthorpe was built. I think that pigeons were kept up there also as there was a fence erected made all out of doors.

I also remember Pit Hill on Pit lane with the large pond at the foot. The area around the school (which I attended from four years old to fifteen ) was a beautiful place the ravine with its stream was a place of peace.

I wonder what fool decided to fill it all in and make a flat boring view, progress? I dont think so.

We could stand looking over towards Woodthorpe and you could see the fields full of corn and barley, all gone now.

I cant remember the name of the old man that had the orchard just up Pit lane from the school, he was always chasing kids who were after his apples.

Originally posted by tosh13

Don't think so mate most of my family came from the Manor,43 Fitzhubert Road. Mcloughlin was my Mums maiden name,Ted,Jean,Joan,Betty & the youngest Pete.All hailed from 12 Chadwick Road

Is your mums name Mary?

Originally posted by lazarus

Is your mums name Mary?

Yes

Lazarus. I have been studying the hisrory of Woodthorpe,with the hall being my first interest.Do you have any photos of the old ravine.I also got interested in the surrounding farms,found the names of a few owners in the 1910-1920s.Do you know owt about these farms

Originally posted by Spaulding

Lazarus. I have been studying the hisrory of Woodthorpe,with the hall being my first interest.Do you have any photos of the old ravine.I also got interested in the surrounding farms,found the names of a few owners in the 1910-1920s.Do you know owt about these farms

Sorry but Im afraid I dont, at that time I was only between twelve and fourteen and I wasnt interested in the things that I hold dear now, like Sheffields old buildings and the areas that I played on when I was at School. I think I have a photo of the Hall in a book I could send it if you havent got one.

Lazarus you asked if my mum was called Mary did you know her.??

I may have got the wrong girl, I think the one I knew was called Margaret and came from Ireland when she was around thirteen years old. Sorry.