Petrol tank drilled! Where can I get a patch?

Last night we went to stay with some friends and left our car outside their house overnight. This morning I was surprised to find I had no petrol but thought I must have run it dry yesterday as we went all over the place. However when we went to the petrol station the £20 worth of fuel we put in drained away! It doesn't help that I have no sense of smell so only realised when I saw the puddle forming!

I have looked all over the net for a new fuel tank but my car is a very rare Mitsubishi and no-one has it! Does anyone know anywhere in Sheffield I could go to get a patch done reasonably instead?

Please, only constructive, relevant comments!

Last night we went to stay with some friends and left our car outside their house overnight. This morning I was surprised to find I had no petrol but thought I must have run it dry yesterday as we went all over the place. However when we went to the petrol station the £20 worth of fuel we put in drained away! It doesn't help that I have no sense of smell so only realised when I saw the puddle forming!

I have looked all over the net for a new fuel tank but my car is a very rare Mitsubishi and no-one has it! Does anyone know anywhere in Sheffield I could go to get a patch done reasonably instead?

Samik Greenland road or most motor shops.

Make sure you follow the instructions very carefully.

Have you tried ringing the likes of halfords or the local car spares place ,you can buy patches off ebay too I think

How bigs the hole as temporary get you home thing will it take a self tapping screw with some resin to help seal

Yes we've got a self tapping screw in it currently which is how I managed to get home. It isn't big enough though as it's still leaking a little bit. I guess the drill bit they used to drill in was a similar size. I didn't know Halfords did patches - I thought it would be a garage job. Thanks for the advice.

Not saying the will deffo have em but like rossrooney says someone like samik will likely have them or tell you if they are available

as stated they need to be done properly so if your not too handy it could be an idea to get some one who is .dont forget it will fail its MOT too if its leaking when you have it tested

Is it plastic or steel ?

I ran over a piece of strip steel on the road and it punctured my tank, I had to take it off and gas welded but it fixed it. Take it off, drain, fill with water to rinse the fual and take it to a garage and have it gas welded. worked for me.

Is it plastic or steel ?

I ran over a piece of strip steel on the road and it punctured my tank, I had to take it off and gas welded but it fixed it. Take it off, drain, fill with water to rinse the fual and take it to a garage and have it gas welded. worked for me.

Ask for petro patch its about a fiver.

If the hole is easily accessible you should be fine.

The instructions are pretty clear.

Ask for petro patch its about a fiver.

If the hole is easily accessible you should be fine.

The instructions are pretty clear.

I have had patched on my innertube only for them to come off miles from no where. I prefere to get things fixed properly or replaced.

If you patch it and the next year at the test station its weeping petrol then its still going to cost you further so may as well do the job right from the off.

what model mitsubishi is it? maybe someone can help you find a replacement tank or tell you where to buy a new one

Get some chemical metal on it (it comes in a tube) I used this on a car sump once after knocking a hole in it and it sealed it permanantly as it is oil and petrol proof.

Hi

I have used Araldite before but make sure the area is dry

Richard

What you need is a tight fitting screw with a fibre washer.