Can i temporarily cancel car insurance while in between cars

does anyone know that if i cancelled or suspended my car insurance due to no longer having my car, will i keep my no claims benefits for the next car. or do i have to continue paying it monthly to retain it.

You should be able to keep your no claims benefit after all you're not making a claim against your insurance.

The best way is to phone your insurance company and ask them. You know these companies make rules up to suit themselves.

Yeah I think it would be best to call your insurance company. It would probably be cheaper to keep the insurance going if your getting a new car very soon - then just call and change the vehicle details. I know it sounds stupid but if you cancel and get new insurance don't forget you may have to pay a deposit which could be a couple of hundred quid

usually they say as long as there hasn't been a gap over a certain length without having held insurance then you can keep your NCB.

something like 12 months, but best check.

usually they say as long as there hasn't been a gap over a certain length without having held insurance then you can keep your NCB.

something like 12 months, but best check.

I thought it was two years but best checking as you say.

isnt your insurance policy a 12 month contract? so you wouldnt be able to cancel it. if you wanted to cancel you will have to pay the time remaining on your policy for the 12 monthes you agreed to pay for. i wouldnt ring up your company and say i dont own the car anymore. best off paying your monthly fees and hurry up getting another car then swaping the insurance over. im no expert tho so dont take my word for it

You can do this but you'll be likely to lose out on the year's NCB for the year you're currently in. So if you were in the 10 month of a 12 month contract that whole 10 months could count for nothing.