England Vs USA tonight - Megathread

1966 definitely will not be repeated!!

Robert Green : More Spills Than A BP Oil Leak :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Just like America then

:confused: :confused:

Ok so the keeper made a mistake but that's not much of a surprise as we know England don't have any top class keepers.

To me the real worry was seeing Lampard and Gerrard playing in the middle together yet again. How many times do successive England managers have to try this before concluding it is never going to work? Was Capello thinking 34th time lucky or something?

Lampard and Gerrard are both great players but have demonstrated time and time again that they are far from great when played in the middle together. They're naturally attacking players (Gerrard especially) and need someone behind them doing the defensive work so they can play to their strengths. Played together the team can't keep the ball, the defence gets no effective cover from midfield and the whole team ends up far too deep.

Lampard and Gerrard could barely hold it together against the USA they'll get torn to shreds (yet again) by any half decent side.

1966 started with a dreary lacklustre goalless draw against Uruguay and the general consensus was that Ramsey was mad in making his..."England will win the world cup" statement...and the rest is history

OK Green made an howler ,he also made a bloody good save that denied the Americans a goal when he turned the ball onto the post,even the great Gordon Banks was not immune from mistakes it happened now its time to forget it and get on with the tournament,I don't know who Capello will play in goal in the next match it seems as though James is carrying an injury and Hart is very inexperienced who was possibly taken for emergency back up only and I remember the last time someone used a inexperienced goalie in a important international and what it cost us.I hope Green is shielded from the stick he's certain to get from the English press they should not dwell on it but encourage him, we may need him and if his nerves are shot what good will he be.

I fear you are right watching that!:help:

Lampard and Gerrard are both great players but have demonstrated time and time again that they are far from great when played in the middle together. They're naturally attacking players (Gerrard especially) and need someone behind them doing the defensive work so they can play to their strengths. Played together the team can't keep the ball, the defence gets no effective cover from midfield and the whole team ends up far too deep.

Totally agree with you. I've been saying the same for years.

Ok so the keeper made a mistake but that's not much of a surprise as we know England don't have any top class keepers.

To me the real worry was seeing Lampard and Gerrard playing in the middle together yet again. How many times do successive England managers have to try this before concluding it is never going to work? Was Capello thinking 34th time lucky or something?

Lampard and Gerrard could barely hold it together against the USA they'll get torn to shreds (yet again) by any half decent side.

At the end of the day Gareth Barry was injured so it's understandable he played both Gerrard and Lampard, Carrick has had a rubbish season with Man Utd and isnt international quality in my opinion, would you have prefered Carrick to have played instead because theres no one else who can do the holding job in the 23?

England were lacklustre last night. Didn't really gel. 4-4-2 just didn't bring out the best in Rooney, our only world class player.

I'm no Heskey fan but I thought he did well last night. Lennon also impressed.

England still managed to produce a lot of chances despite not playing well against the strongest opposition in the group and I'm not worried at all about us getting through to round 2, probably as group winners.

Edited by LibertyBell

What a boring match was it not ? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:(

It was a good match with both teams trying.

Heskey did a good job receiving and laying off.

Two problems Rooney and the goalkeeping slip.

The slip speaks for itself.

Rooney spoilt numerous good passing moves forward, because when it came to him he did not make the quick simple pass.

England were lacklustre last night. Didn't really gel. 4-4-2 just didn't bring out the best in Rooney, out only world class player.

I'm no Heskey fan but I thought he did well last night. Lennon also impressed.

England still managed to produce a lot of chances despite not playing well against the strongest opposition in the group and I'm not worried at all about us getting through to round 2, probably as group winners.

lennon got into the positions but the final ball in was poor