Anyone else has trouble with customers from the Old Grindstone pub,Crookes?

Chavs,:gag:. The new word of the month:roll:

It was word of the month, six years ago.

Richk has said the pubs gone hill since the change of hands. I think you should go in and ask to speak to the landlord and have a chat and I`m sure he will tell you were the previous managers have failed hence why he`s there now and will tell you how they are trying to move the pub forward and maybe you will get the Old Grindstone feeling back.

I've no problem with noisy pubs, I've been noisy in that very pub myself in the past.

I've also no problem with people smoking outside pubs - they don't have much choice.

But regularly groups break out onto the street around both entrances causing chaos all around, even though there's a dedicated smoking area round the other side of the building.

If he wants to move the pub forward, he'll need to get the entrance areas under control, or the whole license could be lost.

Having read all the comments good and bad dont you think its would be a good idea to come and see the landlord and bring your questions and concerns to him. granted the pub as got more ppl hanging outside and is noisy because more ppl are going in. it has had so many mangers over the past few years and if it wasnt for the present landlord the pub would have had tin curtains placed on it. Im sure some ppl who live close would love that but we are trying to bring the whole of Crookes together. you may have guessed now that indeed i am the landlord of the Grindstone and have had one incident in the 6 months i have been there. I am also a local who was born around Crookes so i know what the area is like. Now one night a week which is saturday I have a DJ on. on the odd occasion there may be a live band or karaoke for which i have posted leaflets into ppl's letter boxes. I dont believe by making comments on here without speaking to the management team at the Grindstone is all that fair but as i take any comments serious these are the steps i have taken so far. The ashtray that was up at the side entrance before i took over is now been taken off the wall. I have placed signs up to ask customers to respect the neighbours when leaving and have also placed signs to say no drinks outside. The management team are working very closely with the Police to stop any anti social behaviour both inside and outside if it happens. Customers are aware that the only place they can take their drinks is in the area that we have cleaned and will use as a beer garden which is away from the houses. If they do not comply the police will take drinks off them and hand them a on the spot fine. if there is any thing else you would like to comment on then please pop in and see the management team. i will open a forum to all on a sunday between 1pm and 3pm at the pub itself. We cannot please everyone that is a fact but Im sure you will agree we are taking steps to try.

thanks

I was going to say.....have a word with the landlord, but he beat me to it with his own post.

I don't think you can ask for anything more than what he has said and offered......go and have a chat and a drink with the bloke and the regulars. He sounds like he wants to run a real community pub and he can only really do that with local input.....you might even end up becomming a regular yourself.

Cheers for all your input guys.

i don't think theres a problem with the pub, more the behaviour of customers outside!

The landlord seems to be aware of it so hopefully things will calm down now (well once the footy is over!!!!)

I for one can say that I has visited this establishment many times since the change in management and can say that I am impressed by their efforts to bring back the Grindstone to its former glory !!!

I think the pub has been in decline for a long time now and the other short term managers have done little to try and make a go of it.

So I say the best of luck to the new guys and wish them every success for the future....

i went in just a few weeks back, sunday afternoon, with a mate, wanting a pint. We got in, the assembled group of locals braying at each other in the corner looked at us with disgust, carried on swearing and ranting at each other.

Then one came over, wandered behind the bar and asked if we wanted anything.

We said no and left.

I'm in no rush to go back.

Edited by Pook

i went in just a few weeks back, sunday afternoon, with a mate, wanting a pint. We got in, the assembled group of locals braying at each other in the corner looked at us with disgust, carried on swearing and ranting at each other.

Then one came over, wandered behind the bar and asked if we wanted anything.

We said no and left.

I'm in no rush to go back.

So you never gave the place a chance ????

In my opinion a pub is a place where swearing and banter is rife !!! Albeit that this is not to some folks liking but crikey "locals looking at you in disgust" I think most local drinkers in any establishment are not immediatly accepting.

I reckon if you would have bought your pints and had a seat you would have been looked after by the staff.

It was like the scene in a western when the bad guy walks into the saloon and everything goes quiet. Not very welcoming.

"You ain't from round these parts, are you lads?"

"You made me miss !!"

Edited by Davy Gravy
mis-understood the post i was quoting on he he

something for the landlord to think about, my wife and i went down to broomhill for a few beers and after a few we said lets go up on to crookes for the last couple of hours, less of a walk home then, so we set off up crookes road and when the grindstone came into view there the said 'regulars' were, outside the pub, effing and blinding rather loudly,(we had only just turned the bend and could hear them) pushing each other into the road etc. straight away my wife said "don't even think about us going in there!" i told her no we will carry on walking to the ball, on the other side of the road i hasten to add. luckily they were too busy getting each other in headlocks to notice us so we scurried past. my point is: if the landlord is trying to attract the local clientele, it is very off-putting approaching a pub that has this going off right outside the entrance, people will, as we did, go straight past. it does not look welcoming at all. i can see how the 'regulars' there will like it as they get the pub to themselves, just for their mates. i just hope they spend enough in there to keep it going because if people keep walking past it will close!