Armstead Road, Beighton

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2010 at 9:07 PM, mature5011 said:

Hi

there was shop on each corner of the street as it met the main rd. Looking up armstead, the one on the left was an offlicene and houses went from it up towards the old chapel now knocked down on West st and also up armstead towards the coucil houses.

The one on the right I think was just general shop/barbers again houses went away from it up armstead rd and along the bottom to Orchard lane where the was another shop that was defo a general shop.

Sorry cant remember any names though

Just now, irishill said:

glovers shop on left bottom net was old man and his daughter they were called gaigen if spelt right then us Mallon family then 2reall elderley sisters then Jones family daughter called Anne over net yard was a family called darkers over other side of road was a family called love Tommy love was a friend when I was about 10i left Brighton when I was 12

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2010 at 9:07 PM, mature5011 said:

Hi

there was shop on each corner of the street as it met the main rd. Looking up armstead, the one on the left was an offlicene and houses went from it up towards the old chapel now knocked down on West st and also up armstead towards the coucil houses.

The one on the right I think was just general shop/barbers again houses went away from it up armstead rd and along the bottom to Orchard lane where the was another shop that was defo a general shop.

Sorry cant remember any names though

there wa a stallards shoe shop at the end of west street near Allen road and Handcock's chippy across other side backing on to the dyke my friend Joan gibbons lived at number 1drake house lane where is she now I wonder

17 hours ago, irishill said:

Barbers shop on Armstead road was Purdys i think

can't remember any barber shop on Armstead road are you sure about that or maybe it was after I left beighton mum didn't like dad down pit and didn't want my brother to go down so we came to Sheffield we made an exchange with a couple on townhead street he only had one arm don't know what happened so mum and dad lived in a flat over kennings garage it was a nice place and dad worked for kennings

40 minutes ago, irishill said:

can't remember any barber shop on Armstead road are you sure about that or maybe it was after I left beighton mum didn't like dad down pit and didn't want my brother to go down so we came to Sheffield we made an exchange with a couple on townhead street he only had one arm don't know what happened so mum and dad lived in a flat over kennings garage it was a nice place and dad worked for kennings

Yes youre righ it was not armsted road  it was other end of village near queens road social club , Armstead road remember frankie craig married bill and merles daughter  who had royal oak we all used to go in club beighton bottom be in the 1970 era  / I was born in beighton 1940 left about 1968 went to school there so new a lit of people Linda Bishop / my sisters christine and pamela leonard 

Edited by spider1

2 minutes ago, spider1 said:

Yes youre righ it was not armsted road  it was other end of village near queens road below club , Armstead road remember frankie craig married bill and merles daughter  who had royal oak we all used to go in club beighton bottom be in the 1970 era  / I was born in beighton 1940 left about 1968 went to school there so new a lit of people Linda Bishop / my sisters christine and pamela 

leonard 

Do you know the name of the fella who owned the handyman type shop possible near or on Armstead.

no shops on Armstead only glovers bottom left looking up Armstead and forgot name of one on the right but will come to me I think but all the shops near club have changed even club itself all spare ground gone used to love going on fair and jumping across ochre

I left beighton 1946 but had a run down last year for old times sake all he woods have gone now Chrystal peaks there now I liked it better when I was young

35 minutes ago, irishill said:

no shops on Armstead only glovers bottom left looking up Armstead and forgot name of one on the right but will come to me I think but all the shops near club have changed even club itself all spare ground gone used to love going on fair and jumping across ochre

I left beighton 1946 but had a run down last year for old times sake all he woods have gone now Chrystal peaks there now I liked it better when I was young

I helped demolish the housing around there would be back in the seventies, I was trying to remember the fella at the shops name, possibly Jack, he used to deal a bit in timber and D.I.Y.

i don't know glovers first name was too young had to call him Mr but he was a nice man mum sent me for a cardboard box he gave me one and there was a few broken biscuits in mum says I went in a few days later and asked for an empty box with something in it we were always hungry in those rationing days

yes his name was jack glover just remembered can you remember Audrey the hairdressers just at the end of our yard the cobb family lived at the back of it

stallards shop was at the bottom of orchard lane I think he was a police man mum used to get my shoes from there I hated them they were cheap tho so had to make do in winter I wore my brothers boots and used to like to walk in snow till it stuck on bottom till I was a little bit taller till it fell of our feet had to be a certain size so then we got extra coupons for better shoes when mine was measured by my school teacher always tried to edge away from wall a bit but it never worked