The old Ritz bingo place on Wordsworth Avenue - what's happening to it?

It all went downhill went Vardon bingo came to Kilner Way, alot went there instead.It was the same but the other way round, the crowds that went to the Crown bingo at Lane Top left there to go to the Ritz.

Anybody know whats happened to David who owned Davids Place?Is he ok?

anyone know of what became of the gent who sat outside for years in a wheelcar tricycle passing the time of day with everyone.

Wow, amazing to see inside. Actually you can still see the layout of the old Ritz. Amazing, I expected it to be just a black shell. It looks rather depressing, has I can remember some real good times in there. I have spoken to people whom remember it as the cinema. Thousands and thousands of people have enjoyed the atmoshere that this building had in its hey-day both as a cinema and a bingo hall.

Can you imagine the money that building generated in its hey-days, a sad sad reflection of changes. This cinema and bingo was a community focal place that provided both entertainment and jobs.

Has said, depressing images to veiw and also a sad reflection of today's society.

ONE OF THE BEST CINEMAS IN SHEFFIED DURING THE LATE 1950s AND EARLY

1960s,SPENT A LOT OF TIME AT THE RITZ DURING THAT TIME.

This building is a LISTED building and there for CANNOT be demolished!

So either its stays derelict or gets changed to something else!!

it will never become a mosque not in this area the locals will cause uproar

I live near this building and it wants a bloody bomb under it. It's a meeting ground for smack heads and drunks. They could knock it down and do something with the space. It was mentioned about the mosque but it got turned down 3 times they no it wouldn't last 2 min round here. Ive tried loads to get something done with it but a bloke owns it in London and is refusing to sell it back to the council because he wants what he paid for it and the house prices have dropped loads so they won't give him that. And the building isn't listed ive spoke to our local councillor who looked into it for me.

hi going past the old rits bingo place this afternoon about 1ish i was walking past it their was a large white van and 2 guys with clip boards.looking at it,and walking around it..i ask one of them what you going to do with it as its been like this for years,the other one replyed its going to be a mosque mate..so is he kidding or serious...i told my wife about it.she said theirs nothing been in the star about it..so im puzzled now is the council going to build on it?or was they bogus scrapmen.after scrap..iv called back later this evening..theirs no white van.and i can not see any boards ripped of the building

Thank you for the pics...I've always thought when I've passed what it was like inside.

Hi,

I know this is a topic that's been raked over again and again, but I'm wanting to find out who now owns the Old Ritz Bingo Building on Wordsworth Avenue.

All I know at present is, that it was sold for £108.000 in 2003, through the Auctioners - Mark Jennings and Son, with planning permission for residential conversion. But as for the building it self it cannot be demolished, as its a listed building.

So if there is anybody out there, in the know, please get intouch.

Edited by Jimi Hendrix

it should have been pulled down years ago before becoming a drugs den and a place were the drunks go to get of their face and also because of the number of fires that have been set in the building i cant see there being very much of the inside and i would think itsnow got severe structual problems it needs to be demolished and some nice social housing put there at affordable rents

Hi,

I'm wanting to find out who now owns the Old Ritz Bingo Building on Wordsworth Avenue.

As for the building itself, it cannot be demolished as its a listed building.

Mr A S Raja of Surrey owned it in 2006, maybe he still does or maybe he sold it.

However, his planning application for 44 appartments expired in September 2011.

As for the building itself, it can be demolished and it ain't listed.

It will probably have a suspicious fire and have to be demolished anyway

i hope it does not get knocked down it is still stable even though it has been on fire 3 times the damege is minimul only a cuple of seats are burned completly and a few of the walls a blackened no real damage it would be a wast to knock it down