Sheffield Article 24/10/03

Waiting in a queue down Moor Sainsbury counter - caught sight of an article on the front page of what i think was the Sheffield Telegraph relating to proposed development of two giant complexes opposite one another down by the roundabout by safeways. i have tried to search for this article and information relating to it but have found nothing. Please could anyone that knows anything about it - post a link or direct me to a site which will shed some light on these proposals.

Thanks

Perhaps they could name them Electra and Oedipus.

Rick i was using my mate's PC when i posted the initial thread.

I have read briefly that a construction company by the name of Cala are building a 13 storey accomodation complex alongside another 8 storey complex for offices. Although you might not account for this being a giant construction - when you add the proposed tower that intends to raise the 13 storeys by yet another 6 storeys - a 19 storey construction is gonna be pretty nuts. OK nothing on the likes of Sears in Chicago i know - but worth of scratching your head about, considering they plan to do a similar sized construction on the other side of the road. Basically its to be coined 'Gateway to Sheffield' and should look quite smart if they don't build another 'flatpack' design.

i checked out the website www.cala.co.uk but there are no pending proposals - despite them having raised a billboard taking ownership of the site.

Ooooh, anyone know what the deal is with construction of that new office block in the car park next to the old Pizza Hut, on Charter Row S1? If you do, i'd love to know

What that end of town needs more than a big office block is a toilet block or some other facility to *ahem* relieve one's self.

Sheffield city centre is sadly lacking in such facilities IMO, cos it's not always convenient to go into such as Cole's or TJ Hughes's if you're down the bottom end of town, especially given that their loo's are right on the top floor of the stores.

doubt if you ever read the article rich - part of the proposed ideas for City Hall redevelopment phase involves installation of toilets that rise and fall (no they don't go BO SELECTA) but they emerge from underground in the evenings and disappear by day. Cunningly - a flower pot sits on top so it acts as a pretty daytime feature

It is designed by a Dutch inventor and they arent cheap to install - but they beat relieving yourself against Cole Bros dept. store or off one of Divvy St.'s back streets.

Not sure whether in place yet - but the existing schemes along Charing Cross Rd and the Strand involve Westminster council's deployment of portable urinal troughs in the night time on the weekends. It seems to do the trick - but i think they are going for the retractable system too.

Originally posted by chalicefc3

doubt if you ever read the article rich - part of the proposed ideas for City Hall redevelopment phase involves installation of toilets that rise and fall (no they don't go BO SELECTA) but they emerge from underground in the evenings and disappear by day. Cunningly - a flower pot sits on top so it acts as a pretty daytime feature

What's wrong with building public toilets like they used to do in the olden days?

What if they disappeared into the ground whilst you were in it?

Sorry but wouldn't risk it, same as the automatic door thingy ones.

They will only charge loads to use them anyway.

Originally posted by Andy

What's wrong with building public toilets like they used to do in the olden days?

Toilets like they had in 'the old days' are uneconomical. To be kept clean requires a permanent staff which costs money so sadly there are fewer and fewer to be found.

There's a spectacular one in Hull near the docks which wins prizes every year. This has a permanant employee on duty but is tolerated as it's more of a tourist attraction than a public loo.