Should unemployment benefits be cut?

IMO unemployment benefits should be stopped and instead of money people who want to remain jobless would be given food tokens(which could only buy staple food) Utilitly tokens, and bus tokens.

Cut down on all the scrougers that sit in the pub all day smoking like chimneys to then drive back in their cars to homes with top package sky subs!!

To afford that, they must be on disability payments, selling drugs or working cash in hand.

Bus tokens, utility tokens and food tokens would probably cost more.

Bus pass for week £17.50

Gas/electric £15?

Food £40?

£70+ already.

Clothes?

Water?

Don't know how poor people are on the dole, however my non working neighbours are always at the pub.

Seems to be plenty of money for the pub

Don't know how poor people are on the dole, however my non working neighbours are always at the pub.

Seems to be plenty of money for the pub[/QUOT

And the people on here that are on the dole all must have computers :roll:

Edited by poppins

Seems to be plenty of money for the pub

And some near us have been abroad twice in the last two months …. before anyone says it I know they could have won the lottery, inherited it, be drug carriers or any other viable alternative …. I thing it’s more likely they are milking the system though. :roll:

Well I'm quite encouraged by most of the replies on here.

I thought the hangers and floggers would be out in force telling the bone idle scroungers to get off their fat backsides etc, but most responders have offered interesting and well thought out arguments. But there really doesn't seem to be an answer does there? And no magic wand.

The present 'one size fits all' system isn't working and seems to trap the most needy. For people with no dependents who are trying to live independently the current benefits are at subsistance level already. Trying to live like that soon cripples self-esteem and confidence, so depression sets in. Then it becomes almost impossible to climb out of the hole.

A very talented friend in this position is trying to set up his own business, but again without money for anything other than basic food it's almost impossible. The government help that was promised is simply not forthcoming - and with more cuts on the way that situation probably won't improve.

What's really needed are decent full time jobs that pay a proper living wage. But like I said I don't have a magic wand.

I'm between contracts at the moment and am claiming JSA. I live alone.

I get £65 quid a week and get my council tax paid.

My JSA doesn't cover my direct debits. I believe that a single pensioner gets £120 per week and it is widely known that they 'heat or eat'.

I think I might try the bread a water diet and see if Messrs Cameron and Clegg want to ration that to bread that the supermarkets throw out at the end of the day ...

I'll also try to get the water from the drain outside as the JSA don't cover that either.

I agree that unemployment benefits should be cut, but would do this at the same time as scrapping the mimimum wage, as I advocated yesterday.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=594754

This would ensure that no-one would be able to turn down a job because they'd be better off on benefits, even if it paid £4 an hour.

It's funny how so many apologists for the workshy claim benefits aren't enough to live on but most people on benefits can afford to smoke and drink as well as buy the latest mobiles, plasma TVs and X-boxes. This suggests that unemployment benefit is currently too high.

I'm between contracts at the moment and am claiming JSA. I live alone.

I get £65 quid a week and get my council tax paid.

My JSA doesn't cover my direct debits. I believe that a single pensioner gets £120 per week and it is widely known that they 'heat or eat'.

I think I might try the bread a water diet and see if Messrs Cameron and Clegg want to ration that to bread that the supermarkets throw out at the end of the day ...

I'll also try to get the water from the drain outside as the JSA don't cover that either.

I believe pensions are higher because elderly people have little opportunity of making up financial ground - they are normally on fixed incomes for good once they have retired. JSA was always meant to be a short term support. And only single pensioners who fit the means testing criteria for pension credit get £120, the standard state pension is about £97. I get about £49, because I don't fit the means testing criteria.

I hope you find something soon, it must be really hard to go from a living wage onto subsistence money.

Personally I think that all Government spending should be cut by 5%.

Workers in the private sector have faced cuts, whether that be reduced working hours or actual pay cuts, over the past few years.

Why shouldn't the public sector now face the same. I include benefits claimants in the public sector.

We should also bring in an extra lottery tax.

I'd also go as far as limiting child benefit claims to the first 2 children, we need to control overpopulation and de-incentivise the 'breeding for benefits' brigade.

wonder if the civil list will take a 5% cut :confused:

I agree that unemployment benefits should be cut, but would do this at the same time as scrapping the mimimum wage, as I advocated yesterday.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=594754

This would ensure that no-one would be able to turn down a job because they'd be better off on benefits, even if it paid £4 an hour.

It's funny how so many apologists for the workshy claim benefits aren't enough to live on but most people on benefits can afford to smoke and drink as well as buy the latest mobiles, plasma TVs and X-boxes. This suggests that unemployment benefit is currently too high.

I'd really like to meet all your unemployed aquaintances who can afford plasma TV's and the like, or are you just quoting rubbish you've read in the Daily Mail.

Unemployed people with families are in a different catagory in terms of benefits as they can apply for their children and other things, but single unemployed without dependents are a different case entirely and have to survive on very little or supplement their income by resorting to crime.

My friend who has all the talent he needs to start his own business is unable to because he needs a phone and transport, neither of which he can afford. If he could, he'd be working for himself by now.

Any ideas how he can pay for these on £50 a week?

having claimed them last year due to redundancy i can say that you just about exist on them and as someone said previously, it puts you in a downward spiral. you can live but thats about all. however, i do believe that a time system should be put in place to get the bone idol workshy back out and working.

Their are far too many that have never worked nor do they ever have any intention of doing so. They should make it that you have a maximum period for claiming and then no benefits whatsoever after.

full benefit 6 month 3 quarters for 3 month a half for 3 months and then nothing.

Thats a year, plenty of time to get work!

Cut? Yes, absolutely. In fact more, I think they shouldn't exist. More subdivided.

a) Not able to work. (I think they should fall under 'incapacity')

b) Claims to be not able to work, but is. (I think they should be earning 'incapacity benefit' until proved otherwise).

Not enough contributors to British society, and way too many people sucking money out of it. Givers and takers, and the takers are too many-that's why we are in a mess, me thinks.