Noise in the chimney

We have got an intermitent noise in our chimney breast. I think it is a bird or a squirrel or mouse/rat but not sure. (upstairs is where is noticable by the way, not heard it in the downstairs breast)

Its noticable early in the morning and during the day, not really heard it in the evening or night time though.

The noise you can hear is like an occoasionally scurrying inside the breast, and you can also hear the odd bit of falling debris.

Thought at first it was a mouse but the noise is isolated to the chimney breast, ie not under the floor boards, and we have seen no droppings or scuff marks to suggest anything has been in the house.

Dont think it is a bird as there has been no squarks or flapping, more of a general movement.

All this makes me think its a squirrel which leads to the question do they 'nest' in chimney's and what if anything can I / should I do about it.

Also, if i need to get someone in can anyone reccommend anybody.

Cheers.

Are your fireplaces boarded over?

The downstairs fire is a sealed gas fire (i think) - had it safety checked about 6m ago and draw/flu was fine. The upstairs breast is boarded over, and I assume it is capped, but need to get a better look at the chimney breast to confirm this.

Have it checked out again (smoke bombed serviced etc)> IF something has nested it could affect the safety of the appliance severely. If it is a squirrel they do nest in funny places my nan had one in her loft for two years, ended up putting chicken wire everywhere to stop it.

TBH, it sounds like a bird may have got down there. Its quite common.

If a bird is down there, its not getting out!!!

We fit loads of bird guards but its ALWAYS when its too late.