Wombwell woods Tunnel / Convicts tunnel

I my self with other members are Wombwell Paranormal group and love the loaction convics tunnel..

The history behind the tunnle is that in the 1800 the fields round the tunnel were camp sites for convics being transported at 12:00am if your stood in the tunnel you may hear and feel the train that use to go through its a very scary place and you will more or less hear things.

if i can help with anything please dont be afraid to ask.

I'd be surprised if convicts were camped near Barnsley for transportation. The nearest assizes in 1800 was at York.

I remember going for walks as a child, and going to Convicts' Tunnel, but couldn't remember where exactly it was.

But I've asked my dad, and he says it's off Smithley Lane:

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Sheffield+S1+3GG,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.526585,-1.428566&spn=0.004171,0.018625&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.526582,-1.428572&panoid=qmoHWXUdKft0pao2Uztxtg&cbp=11,302.47,,0,5

As you walk down Smithley Lane from its junction with Aldham House Lane, the road does quite a few bends. There's a track off to the right on one of them (think it's the one in the google maps link above), and Convicts' Tunnel is down that track. Apparently if you carry on, the track takes you to Dovecliffe.

Hope this helps, but please don't blame me if you get lost :)

is that really it? that's not a tunnel, just an old railway bridge. the most interesting thing about it is the 'bridge upon a bridge' on top of it.

the old line over the top goes to dovecliffe via a long since demolished bridge to the west and worsbrough branch and aldham junction to the east.

Convicts tunnel is near ullyets farm just across from the former wombwell main pit stack we used to go through convivts tunnell to get to worsboro the tunnell was build by prisoners looked after by monks if you go through the tunnell you will see arrows carved in the stones we used to go bird nesting in the tunnell if you look up you will see steel arches in the roof where the birds nested we where told that one of the monks was killed on the building ot the tunnell we called him the green monk who has been seen by more than one person as seen if you were there at midnight the you have a chance the tunnell was build for train lines laid to bring coal to and fro to barrow colliery also to bring coke from barrow coking plant we spent many hours blackberring on the railway bank

Picture here (not hard to find using google)

http://www.hemingfield.co.uk/gallery2a/main.php?g2_itemId=226

But surely if you've done what the best scientists in the world have done and made somthing that can detect ghosts, surely you've only got to go to Wombwell Wood and turn your machine on?