Muslim population in prisons doubles.

Some convert because the food is better, others because it affords protection and status. An alarming trend?

Some convert because the food is better, others because it affords protection and status. An alarming trend?

Not really, just inmates trying to get as much as possible out of the situation they are in.

Prison churches in England are amongst the best attended in the country, does that mean all the prisoners have suddenly got religious? or does the fag and a swig of holy wine off the chaplain get them in?

Edited by alex3659

The vegetarian food is also better, I hear.

seeing as the average Muslim in the UK is only 28 years old rather than the national average of 41 this isn't surprising.

It is an alarming figure....11% of the prison population when only 2.7% of the total population......I wonder why that is(genuinely)?.

If prisons cut out all this pandering, not just to Muslims, or expediant Muslims; but to all inmates it might just make a proper prison.

A proper prison should deter future crime and educate - to help alleviate the circumstances that do not help prevent crime (unemployment or low pay).

It should deter by being a place where criminals really do not want to return to.

No pandering with religion, not to Jews, Catholics, Muslims or whatever.

No expensive meals, no phones, no TV. Prisoners should only have supervised high tech access i.e. computers- internet if they have a specific educational need; which should be properly assessed.

If prisons cut out all this pandering, not just to Muslims, or expediant Muslims; but to all inmates it might just make a proper prison.

A proper prison should deter future crime and educate - to help alleviate the circumstances that do not help prevent crime (unemployment or low pay).

It should deter by being a place where criminals really do not want to return to.

No expensive meals, no phones, no TV. Prisoners should only have supervised high tech access i.e. computers- internet if they have a specific educational need; which should be properly assessed.

You'll be wanting them to make their own beds next.:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Exactly....the perfect prison should be safe, but dreadful to exist in.

Times on line has taken the same report that was mentioned by the BBC and other news outlets without any hysterics and turned it into something to be alarmed about. The main thrust of the report is not that inmates are converting to Islam but that the treatment of prisoners by staff is perhaps leading them down the path to extremism, now I would be alarmed at that more than if someone converts for the convenience of enjoying a curry now and again.

She says that prison staff are suspicious about those practising or converting to the faith and warns that treating Muslim inmates as potential or actual extremists risks radicalising them. The report says: “Many Muslim prisoners stressed the positive and rehabilitative role that Islam played in their lives, and the calm that religious observance could induce in a stressed prison environment. This was in marked contrast to the suspicion that religious observance, and particularly conversion or reversion, tended to produce among staff.”

Times is truly becoming a quality toilet paper, with people like poster Bloomdido easily alarmed and looking for excuses to have a go at Muslims.

Edited by tab1

"Times is truly becoming a quality toilet paper, with people like poster Bloomdido easily alarmed and looking for excuses to have a go at Muslims."

I think it is a little unfair to dismiss this story as a "non-story"......

I don't think that the disproportionate amount of Muslims in the prison population should be dismissed or ignored....it's information that I think we have the right to know. Also it highlights the softer touch people get in prison - and the soft touch that get's even softer on people of different religions - in the "equal" society we live in.

A stint in prison should be a stint away from the freedoms of life....people can have their faiths but there is no need to give them special allowances for it....after all no "god" would judge someone who is unable to do a certain thing would they? They are more likely to be judged for the crimes they have already commited surely?

what are the comparative proportions of christians, etc in prisons against the general population? Viewed in isolation, the comparison for muslims tells us nothing.