The great big iPod thread

Originally posted by Greenback

Sorry to say it, but if you're laying out 550 smackers on a media player it's very likely you'll get stung very soon. Early adopter syndrome.

The fact of the matter is, and I said this to an Archos rep as well, I paid £550 for that item.. and they took the ****. You should not be getting stung when you pay £550 for something like that at all.

I wanted to exchange it for the next model up.. and they were having none of it... charlatans.. and just as bad as PC World are.

As for the iPod, it's simply overpriced. If it's being bought partly as a fashion accessory, fair enough. But as an MP3, there are much better alternatives out there.

Name me one? Iriver, Creative - Philips ??

They dont compare at all with the design and how good the ipod looks at all.. and functions.

As for the photo iPod, am I the only one who just doesn't understand the appeal in spending extra for this feature? Why would you want to view still digital photographs on one of these - especially when there are a variety of excellent PMPs available?

Agreed with you on that- I'm not going for the photo one.. it just dosent agree with me for some reason.. dunno why :)

Originally posted by ANGELUS

The fact of the matter is, and I said this to an Archos rep as well, I paid £550 for that item.. and they took the ****. You should not be getting stung when you pay £550 for something like that at all.

I wanted to exchange it for the next model up.. and they were having none of it... charlatans.. and just as bad as PC World are.

Name me one? Iriver, Creative - Philips ??

They dont compare at all with the design and how good the ipod looks at all.. and functions.

Agreed with you on that- I'm not going for the photo one.. it just dosent agree with me for some reason.. dunno why :)

iRiver and Creative both have models to knock the socks of iPods (and at cheaper prices). Moreover, iRiver had both photo and movie features when the photo iPod was not even a twinkle in the eye of Apple. iPods represent a triumph of marketing hype over product quality and are a testament above all else to the gullibilty of the buying public, appealing particularly to the fashion accessory posers and to the conspicuous consumption boasters, most of whom probably know nothing about audio technology.

2 of my colleagues at work have an Iriver and a Creative, they both say that the 'pod sounds better... which makes me very happy indeed.

2 of my colleagues at work have an Iriver and a Creative, they both say that the 'pod sounds better... which makes me very happy indeed.

its funny you should say that because the sound of iRiver and indeed of Creative have both been judged to be superior to the iPod in test after test in audio magazines. Where the iPod scores is on size and ease of use (for people who know nothing about audio technology). But with very little effort, the iRiver and Creative both can be easy to use and are generally more flexible than the iPod as well as having superior sound and a lower price. Take a look at the misticiriver site (using the link I posted earlier) for some eye opening views on the relative merits of the sound from these players.

Does it all not come down to the quality of the files you put on there though?

I would have thought so????

AND- this is the clincher for the ipod.

You can get funky little programs to load onto it.. including the bible if that floats your boat.. can Iriver and Creative do that :)

You can get funky little programs to load onto it.. including the bible if that floats your boat.. can Iriver and Creative do that :)

Yes indeed. In fact, with both the iRiver and the Creative, you can treat the drives just like any other hard drives and can load whatever files you want on to them. You are not limited to iTunes software and can transfer MP3 and other files (and play various programmes also) just as you would with any removeable drive. The iRivers also come with radios as standard and the 340 has photo and movie options as well. Both the iRiver and the Creative Zen have significantly longer battery life than the iPlod. Its true that the iPoo has had more programmes specifically written for it, but most of these are expensive gimmicks and unnecessary junk. If you want an MP3 player which perfoms superlatively well as an MP3 player, there are in my opinion definitely better options than the iPoo.

You pays your money you makes your choice.

I owned an iRiver and have tried friends mp3 players including the self proclaimed 'iPod killer' Rio Karma and still prefer Ipod.

I think the fact that the anti iPodders get their knickers in a twist over something they don't have to buy is amusing and revealing.

So why do people bitch about the ipod then, like I see everyone is doing again tonight??

What is the motivation for it?

Its the same with this rubbish load of lies about the ipod battery being duff- its a load of crap which people have bought into, and its planted the seeds of doubt about the ipod.

Thats all it is :)

We do it 'coz we are sick of people beeing fairly clueless not knowing they're buying a pile of s***e, it's like, you'd avoid a Kia wouldn't ya ? It'd make snece... Strangely, with iPods there's this myth surounding them...

I don't personnaly recall ever criticising the iPod's battery... Although, if it has a battery it's already flawed compared to a player that uses AAs... (Use them as you wish, I use rechargeable batteries, replaceable and don't cost a bomb)

LordChaverly makes an excellent argumentation, and unlike Angelus, tries to prove his point with facts rather than sole personnal preference or 'my mates said so'. iRiver, Creative & Rio are far superior, in sound quality (uh oh I sence someone can't buy proper headphones), iRiver comes with Sennheiser phones, which are the best around.

with firmware updates with your River, as LordChaverly indicates you can use your player as a mobile hard drive, if you desire, you can also make due of the 'iRiverManager' and use your player as a UMS.

Utilities such as iTunes are very poor, backward, and purposely hold you back.

Plus if I may say so, but the IFP series in the prism shape brought a new ergonomy and ease of use to the market, the iPod still can't manage, a player with 4 buttons easily usable is a bit of an ownage.

I betcha you'd load Windows on your iPoo if you could, having fancy pancy utilities written excusively for your player just makes it a farce when some other manufacturers concentrate on quality alone, leaving useless utilities aside. A media player plays media... Not Tetris, that's called a mobile phone.

visit the house of quality

Apple have a good record on making products that people want to own, regardless of the technical merits.

heck I was first in line for the Bondi blue iMacs when they came out here (ok, about 50,000th in line), and its still something that gets used every day.

The iPod is a well designed meeting of form and function, and if like me, you are not a trained music producer or acoustic engineer, sound quality is pretty good (compared to my Satsuma personal 8 track player).

And it was the first easy to use, non techie, large drive player. And in certain businesses, being first to market, especially if you have a PR dept the size of atlanta, means a lot.

The problem with all the other mp3 players is that they have no cachet whatsoever; whereas Apple products positively reek of it.

I don't own an iPod btw.

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

Apple have a good record on making products that people want to own, regardless of the technical merits.

The problem with all the other mp3 players is that they have no cachet whatsoever; whereas Apple products positively reek of it.

'By 'cachet', presumably you mean the superficial appeal deriving from marketing hype.

Originally posted by LordChaverly

'By 'cachet', presumably you mean the superficial appeal deriving from marketing hype.

by 'cachet' I mean 'cachet'. :P

Originally posted by Captain_Scarlet

We do it 'coz we are sick of people beeing fairly clueless not knowing they're buying a pile of s***e, it's like, you'd avoid a Kia wouldn't ya ? It'd make snece... Strangely, with iPods there's this myth surounding them...

I don't personnaly recall ever criticising the iPod's battery... Although, if it has a battery it's already flawed compared to a player that uses AAs... (Use them as you wish, I use rechargeable batteries, replaceable and don't cost a bomb)

LordChaverly makes an excellent argumentation, and unlike Angelus, tries to prove his point with facts rather than sole personnal preference or 'my mates said so'. iRiver, Creative & Rio are far superior, in sound quality (uh oh I sence someone can't buy proper headphones), iRiver comes with Sennheiser phones, which are the best around.

with firmware updates with your River, as LordChaverly indicates you can use your player as a mobile hard drive, if you desire, you can also make due of the 'iRiverManager' and use your player as a UMS.

Plus if I may say so, but the IFP series in the prism shape brought a new ergonomy and ease of use to the market, the iPod still can't manage, a player with 4 buttons easily usable is a bit of an ownage.I betcha you'd load Windows on your iPoo if you could, having fancy pancy utilities written excusively for your player just makes it a farce when some other manufacturers concentrate on quality alone, leaving useless utilities aside. A media player plays media... Not Tetris, that's called a mobile phone.

visit the house of quality

This is getting a very interesting topic now.. :)

On one side of the field- we have the ipodders and on the other side of the field- we have the pretenders to the throne.

We do it because we are sick of people being clueless about the ipods... maybe people dont care what you think about the ipods have you ever thought that? Maybe it was their personal choice to go for the 'pod?? A quick test- if I offered you an Ipod for free would you take it? - Seeing how you detest them like.

Anyone can quote facts from a book or program, its just that I cannot be arsed to find the facts for you :)

All I will say to you mate is that the Ipod still is the biggest seller in the world- FACT.. thats all you and I need to know.

The many people in the world buying Apple products cannot be wrong can they? Maybe it is you thats wrong :)

Sennheiser are great though- you got me there.

Ermmm- if you need to update your iriver to use it as a hard drive- then thats why people are not buying them.. Ipod does this ALREADY straight out of the box.. without some stupid updates, this does not encourage me at all to buy an Iriver if I need to keep slapping updates on it to do this.. Itunes is perfect mate, and its built for the ipod user mainly.. it does everything you would want it to do.. thats it!

Plus if I may say so, but the IFP series in the prism shape brought a new ergonomy and ease of use to the market, the iPod still can't manage, a player with 4 buttons easily usable is a bit of an ownage.I betcha you'd load Windows on your iPoo if you could, having fancy pancy utilities written excusively for your player just makes it a farce when some other manufacturers concentrate on quality alone, leaving useless utilities aside. A media player plays media... Not Tetris, that's called a mobile phone.

The ipod cant manage ease of use-- are you mad :)

Its got a touch sensitive scroller that even my kid nephew can operate... it had 4 buttons (like my model) - they have updated since.. the only drawback on the ipod is that it does not have an off button as such- you need to hold down the pause button to turn the power off which can be a pain I will admit.

I would load windows onto it.. just to see if it worked and what it did.. that would be fab :)

You're missing the point fella... Ipods can now do so many things- where as Iriver and Creative are stuck doing what they do for their purpose.. dont you think thats why ipods are selling probably double what the competitors are?