Patio vs Decking?

Which is the cheaper option paved patio or wooden decking?

I want it doing proffessionally, but I'm not ready for quotes yet. I just want to know which is the best option for my pennies. :D

Doing a decking job next week for shaw motors to give some idea 18ft x 16ft decking £358 6x2 £154 not price sides yet and thats wood only its not cheap this was the cheapest place hope this gives you some idea FLAG IT

Edited by billandben

a patio can be how cheap you want it to be but personally i always dig out and drop in 4 to 6 inch of hardcore whackered down then flags layed on a solid mortar bed (not dotted) so then you need skip/hardcore tool hire all extra but you patio is then there for life not just 6 months till weather turns! also flags can vary from a couple of £ to £10ish per flag depending on what you choose

I personally would have a patio as decking can get very slippy when wet a patio should last for years if done correct

Have you considered how much sun the patio will be be getting?

If the area doesn't get full sun I would go with a patio as it is much easier to keep looking good in the long term.

A substance called rompox (google it )for grouting between stones is fantastic as no water will stand as this stuff is permeable and prevents weeds growing through.

Don't know about pricing but I'm just about to strip out a big decking area to replace with patio. Staining the decking every two years is a job I can do without!!

we just had our back yard landscaped and were torn between decking & paving, but as it doesn't get sun all day, we thought that the decking might get slippy - you've also go to think about ongoing maintenance. I think decking would have been the cheaper option without doubt, but we went with paving in the end - we got some lovely Chinese slate from Yorkshire Stone - its a bluey colour with rust through it. Get it done right though or you'll have weeds growing through - we had some special grouting applied to it - probably the stuff that Thorpist mention.

have you though of a mix of both? a paving area around a decking area for seating?

I've not seen any decking that looks good after 4 years. Paving is easy to maintain and if done properly looks good for years. A lot of friends have had problems with rats living under the decking and have pulled it up.

Id go with a patio. Heard too many stories about rats living under decking!!

we got the rat stories too - didn't know if it was just a rumour tho

i did a bit off both layed a patio .then put railings and spindels round the edge looks well