Does anybody know where i can buy caterpillars

my 6 yr old niece had a caterpillar as she is learning the transition to butterfly at school.unfortunately it died and she is now heartbroke i desperately need to find caterpillers as she wont stop going on about the dead one does anybody know of places to buy them any help appreciated ty

Edited by hazzaNkat

ah...now then. I do know this. Green Gardener You can get full set-ups and refills so you can buy just the caterpillars. My sons' teacher used them.

On the other hand, you could try and find some. Look on stinging nettles, and on allotments (ask the owners of course).

Good luck :thumbsup:

I've had them before from worldwidebutterflies.com

Also, Costco sell a set, with pop up 'home' etc. You just send for your caterpillars (in with the price of kit) and they come in a little jar with food in the bottom etc, all very interesting. We released my niece and nephews jus last week, brilliant!!

Failing that, just find one in the garden, few twigs and leaves in a tank and let it grow. They usually crawl to the top of the tank though when they're ready to coccoon, we've used a muslim cloth just to cover it before and it worked perfectly!! If you need any more info, just message me

My partner says you can get them from the butterfly house at south anston

ty everybody for ur replies will enquire 2 morro but in mean time anybody finds any in their gardens i will be happy to collect even if its 1 then mite get sum peace lol

leave them in the wild where they belong

she is learning bout them at school and they have a butterfly bungalow to teach the kids hence er doing it home she isnt causing any harm keeping them but if its ur opinion to leave them in the wild so be it but u had no need to post on here

she is learning bout them at school and they have a butterfly bungalow to teach the kids hence er doing it home she isnt causing any harm keeping them but if its ur opinion to leave them in the wild so be it but u had no need to post on here

apologies for posting my opinion :rolleyes:

We have bought caterpillars and raised them before, it is a wonderful educational activity to do with children, so long as you teach them to respect them and not to handle them as they are very easily damaged.

We bought them from http://www.insectlore-europe.com/

I think FinningUK in Chesterfield are the only Caterpillar dealer locally.:confused: