Wartime Frecheville

not quite fecheville, but being a frechvllian used to walk to the 95 bus terminus and buy my sweets and my comics from jacks arcade...any one remember it?

Remember the old grocery shop at the end of Thornbridge Drive with junction of Hopefield Avenue.It was actually called The Diary in the early days and was operated by Mr.Credland for many years.He had a Boomerang bubbly machine on the wall outside and we devised a scheme to empty the contents with the handle for just an old penny!

Arr,memories!

not quite fecheville, but being a frechvllian used to walk to the 95 bus terminus and buy my sweets and my comics from jacks arcade...any one remember it?

Yep , remember Jacks Arcade very well.It was originally in a wooden shack facing the Riley Snooker place in a roadway that went into a coal yard.My dad used to buy his green un there every saturday night as we went up to the Rex cinema.When the brick arcade was built at Intake terminus I am sure he moved into there.

Sorry to drag up old thread but just found it. Lived on Frechy from 60-79. Used to go to the Community Centre loads with mu mum and saw all of the pantomimes. Entered the fance dress at the carnivals and rode on the lorries. It was a great place to live and still is a solid working class area with a few good pubs.

Still go back quite often as my family still live there. Obviously don't remember the war years but remember my uncle giving me a map showing all of the bombs that fell on Sheffield and loads fell over this area as the planes dumped them on their way out of the city apparently.

Also, at Frecheville Comp the big athletics/cricket field had a row of air raid shelters which were used for smoking/groping sessions for the more adventurous.

I lived at the 'bottom end' and used to play on the 'bank' and the red rocks. Never went home in the holidays unless it was for food. I wish my son could have had the freedom that I had as a kid. It was a magical time.

my gran and grandad lived there from the 40s to late 70s.they had to be vetted to live there,the women got the name"sheffield ladies in the hats"!ella biggin,fearnlys,mr and mrs reed,elsie farehurst,they were all refered to as mr or mrs.all lived on hopedale rd.an eccentric old lady called miss dyson gave piano lessons in her creepy old house.sadly i think she developed dementia-as we now know it as!

The Frecheville Estate ,initially built by Henry Boot pre-second world war,indeed had a system where you had to be personally vetted by the First Housing Committee before they decided to let you have a house on the estate !

Oh WOW, just found this site. my grandparents were the very first to move in on Hopefield Ave and my mum and dad lived next door when they got married. I have the Original Site Plan of Frecheville before it was built and it shows the farm house that was used as the community centre when Frecheville was first built. It is now the Chapel on the corner of Churchdale and Hopefield. My maiden name was Orio we lived at no 21. and I was on the pantomimes that you all remember. David Tipper did the lighting and I am still in touch with some of the other girls. Oh happy days, of Carnivals and the Fair that came. I am now 63 and live in Eckington but often go for a walk round the pond, so many memories of my teenage years and who can forget the Rock Club - well a lot of us still meet up.

Nice to know that so many people think of Frecheville so fondly. Though there have been many changes over the years, one constant still remains; the Pantomime Society are still going strong at the Community Centre, and will be performing "Puss in Boots" in February (21st - 26th), tickets now on sale!

Who's dead Sultana? hope you don't meand David Tipper. and I will be getting some of my friends to come with me to the panto, wow that will be weird. last time I was on the Panto (chorus line) was 1960 - god I'm old!!!

Talk about weird - just logged on for first time ever - had to go and look in the mirror just to make sure - you only posted it 3hrs ago !!! - enjoy your Panto !! D.

Edited by RichinR'mond
Accuracy

Happy memories. anyone remember Lorraine Ibbotson who was the lead dancer - I know she went to Paris to work at the Follis but not heard since, still in contact with Josie Harrison and Mollie Sherwood who were also in the chorus line, my fingers are still sore sewing all those clothes we had to make, some very weird and wonderfull. I remember

Aladin and 'Widow T****y' falling over on the opening night and Buttons 'throwing a tantrum' He said we made too much noise in the dressing rooms!! We were12 years old- what did he expect?

Yes, Lorraine & Angela Ibbotson were still in panto when I first trod the boards as second principal girl in Jack & the Beanstalk. a very long time ago.