The Old Arrow pub - anyone any memories?

it looks like it has closed down again

yes the old harrow has now shut and is going to be another indian restaurant....what a shame was a good pub in the 70's and 80's but has always had a reputation for trouble

i expect others will disagree but i saw enough fights there and stopped my occasional visits years ago

I used to go there in the late 50's the landlord at that time came from a pub that was near the City Hall, can't remember the name but Forresters rings a bell.

He brought with him his record collection of Louis, Ella, Frankie, Sarah, Peggy Lee and more. It was the first time I saw candles in bottles and I have evocative memories of the Old Harrow and walking home on soft barmy evenings with the intoxicating smell of nightscented stock around, my head full of songs sung by the best.

Seven stone twelve and age about 19 the world was mine, if only I had realised it.

The Azena dance hall was built about then and the Old Harrow would be visited in the interval, one mad dash by the men to get to the bar first.

But lingering in my mind are September evenings in the dusk.

hazel

Edited by hazel
spelling plus

I used to go there in the late 50's the landlord at that time came from a pub that was near the City Hall, can't remember the name but Forresters rings a bell.

He brought with him his record collection of Louis, Ella, Frankie, Sarah, Peggy Lee and more. It was the first time I saw candles in bottles and I have evocative memories of the Old Harrow and walking home on soft barmy evenings with the intoxicating smell of nightscented stock around, my head full of songs sung by the best.

Seven stone twelve and age about 19 the world was mine, if only I had realised it.

The Arena dance hall was built about then and the Old Harrow would be visited in the interval, one mad dash by the men to get to the bar first.

But lingering in my mind are September evenings in the dusk.

hazel

I think you mean the Azena harel.

Edited by Jim Hardie

yep, --- knew I had got it wrong somewhere

it was a long time ago.

hazel

On 01/03/2011 at 22:37, hazel said:

yep, --- knew I had got it wrong somewhere

it was a long time ago.

hazel

In the late 40s landlord in old arrow was called burtonwood  . Used to go under captain burtonwood, he had a son, who I. Played with when I was a lad off about eight or nine. In back off pub ,  the beer was tenants when I first started going in for a drink  1960. Bitter one shilling and three old pennies queens one penny more . Woman used to sing looked like princess Margret .  One night a week ,  can anyone tell me for sure, what county the red lion started off in , stream in between lister crescent  seagrave crescent was boundary  I was born on lister crescent   Lion closed  10 pm in week days in 60s  I think old arrow closed  at 10 30. I think ,   I am  not sure on that , Sheffield and Healy closed 10 pm same as  lion , both my locals  years ago, 

Some old bells rung there, Slinny and Hazel.

The walk to the owd arrer was a favorite back in the day. We working lads dressed in our one good (but always made to measure) suit, and if it wasn't a stroll down the Moor, another favorite on Sunday, we'd be up there.

"Seven stone twelve and age about 19 the world was mine, if only I had realised it."

10 stone 7, and we thought we were the cat's meow.

The one (or two) late closing time pubs was also a big deal, back then. Forget which they were.

With no cars, we walked everywhere, and enjoyed it. Up and down those Sheffield hills was good practice for later in life. I can still walk miles, as long as there are no big hills.

3 hours ago, trastrick said:

Some old bells rung there, Slinny and Hazel.

The walk to the owd arrer was a favorite back in the day. We working lads dressed in our one good (but always made to measure) suit, and if it wasn't a stroll down the Moor, another favorite on Sunday, we'd be up there.

"Seven stone twelve and age about 19 the world was mine, if only I had realised it."

10 stone 7, and we thought we were the cat's meow.

The one (or two) late closing time pubs was also a big deal, back then. Forget which they were.

With no cars, we walked everywhere, and enjoyed it. Up and down those Sheffield hills was good practice for later in life. I can still walk miles, as long as there are no big hills.

It just depends on what years you are talking about , I used lion , Sheffield and Healy  centre spot , old arrow from. Early 60s , town red lion  west street . Adelphi  sickamore  street  and the rest down town , for many years .

Just now, Slinny said:

It just depends on what years you are talking about , I used lion , Sheffield and Healy  centre spot , old arrow from. Early 60s , town red lion  west street . Adelphi  sickamore  street  and the rest down town , for many years .

Mid to late 50s

Red Lion Stoneses, was the nectar of the gods for us lads. Brought up in Heeley and Arbouthorne, but never frequented any of those places, except for the Punch Bowl.

Posh Worthington and draft Bass at the Athol. Loved the Nelson.

Can you remember the pub somewhere up there, or was it the Harrow, that stayed open later, and different opening times during the day too , as I recall?

Edited by trastrick

9 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Mid to late 50s

Red Lion Stoneses, was the nectar of the gods for us lads. Brought up in Heeley and Arbouthorne, but never frequented any of those places, except for the Punch Bowl.

Posh Worthington and draft Bass at the Athol. Loved the Nelson.

Can you remember the pub somewhere up there, or was it the Harrow, that stayed open later, and different opening times during the day too , as I recall?

Phoenix?

Just now, Jim Hardie said:

Phoenix?

If it was within striking distance from the Gleadless Valley building site, where we could leave the site a bit early and catch them before they closed during the day.