SEO not bringing me more web traffic

That's all you can do when you're trying to DIY, just read and learn, practice and tweak.

...and read and learn and practice and tweak (I do this every day...in all aspects of my business...I'd add listen too :))

Curiously enough I regularly get pestered by people trying to get me to buy their "SEO services". Strangely enough only for my sites that are already on 1st page of Google for the search terms I have worked on (and competitive ones at that!)!

Take a look at how john lewis is starting to leverage content. You want to buy a coffee machine or a BBQ, so you go to johnlewis and read all the clear advice and guidance on the topic, features to look for etc. This improves engagement with you as a buyer and also delivers some pretty stunning results in the Google rankings. Type in 'coffee machine' in Google and see what comes up first!

The key to successful online business is effective offline marketing. Relying on people's searches whether you have paid an SEO or not will only work if you are a big player competing on price. That is why internet shopping is dominated by big players. Its a jungle and the big animals will eat it all up.

looking at your site it's no wonder your not appearing high for say the term 'spy pens' just looking at your page for spy pens, i'd have done your keyword meta tag, h1, h2, content, layout etc all different, i wouldnt expect to appear high at all with how your site is at the moment.

But as lot have said: read, trail and error, learn

In fact I think I did pretty well getting the domain spygadgetsonline.co.uk but I would of though I was worthy of being ranked higher than some of the sites, even if it was on page 2 or 3....or 4.

Trouble is, nobody would use the term "spy gadgets online" in Google.

FYI Google ignores hyphens in search terms and domain names. The domain name http://www.spy-pen.co.uk is up for sale...might be worth finding out what they want for it.

One reason why a lot of people are successful with SEO is because the majority don't do SEO or they do it incorrectly; either way, they get no or poor results. So whilstever people refuse to change their keywordsdespite hard facts being provided, there will always be the competitors taking their larger slice of the available SEO cake. Part of my keyword research is looking at the compeitors - all those on Google page 1 for a specific keyword - and seeing which ones are not fully optimised (and other factors considered) which means they can be overtaken.

keyword research is very important, the adwords keyword tool is useful for that, it can tell you the search volume for each keyword & give you ideas for new keywords to optimise for. once you've seen which are the most popular keywords for your niche, then you can find out which of those you might have a reasonable chance of getting to page 1 on. It's worth doing a cheap/short adwords campaign just for the help it gives you with keyword research. You can use it without running a campaign, but the results aren't quite as clever - https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

try to change your SEO person

Read the original post - the OP is doing it themselves.

Why is it that I spend all this time on SEO for my site and constantly add things to it but never see anything i results... My traffic is still really low and conversion is poor, yet when I search for Spy Pens on Google all the sites that appear are all very basic with not a lot of text.

You really need to read and understand how google works

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35291

The page ranking systems is not based on the content of webpages.

Or how you set them up.

Read and learn googles own documentation, not how you 'think' SEO works.

Its all based on links from ranked sites etc.