Spitewinter Farm Wharncliffe- Has anyone any info about it?

Spitewinter Farm- Wharncliffe?

Is it still in existance and where is it?

One of my ancestors owned and another lived there in the early 1900's.

I love to know any history of the place if anyone knows.

PopT

Hi everyone

I found it and for anyone interested it is near the Kirk Edge Carmelite convent between Worrall and Bradfield.

PopT

dear popt

my name is carol, and I am researching my family tree. I currently live about 20miles from Bradfield

I have traced an ancestor on mine JOSEPH CHARLESWORTH to Spitewinter farm in the late 1800's

he is buried in St Nicholas' church at Bradfield and on the gravestone it states he was from spitewinter.

Joseph died in 1879 ages 79.

dont know if this is of any use to you, but myself and my partner regularly visit Bradfield for a great lunch at the "Old Horns" pub

regards

carol

Hi Pop,

I don't have any history for the farm, but these are the details of the gannister mine that was just across the road.

"Spitewinter mine, probably the largest of this group of small mines, was situated about one mile due west of Worrall village and was abandoned on 19th July 1913. The entrance was a drift on the north side of Kirk Edge Road, by its junction with Coal Pit Lane. The entrance is now flooded to form a small permanent pond. On the south side of Kirk Edge Road Gannister was quarried at one time and even though the area has been landscaped some remnants of this quarry can just be seen to the north of Spitewinter farm. Spitewinter was owned by Thos. Wragg, of Loxley and in 1896, according to a government survey of that year, was mining coal only (hence the name Coal Pit Lane). Thomas Wragg was also listed as the manager here. Later the Oughtibridge Silica Firebrick Company owned this site and developed it for true Gannister as well as coal. The Gannister was taken to their Oughtibridge factory by road. There are various other old mine shafts in this area which are likely to be old coal workings. In the 1901 population census a Mr. Keith Helliwell, of Spitewinter, describes himself as "Corfe (sic.) haulier - underground-coal. There were also a small Gannister pit immediately to the east, on the south side of Kirk Edge Road and this too has been fully landscaped."

Hi PopT. My grandparents farmed Spitewinter for a few years from about 1920. I have a photo of the farmhouse at that time. If you would like to PM me an email address, I'll scan it to you if you're interested. There is now a more recent house between the old house and the road but the one on my photo is still there.

hi

my name is carol hart and I have traced ancestors to spitewinter famr

I would be obliged if you could email me that image

my email address is

[email protected]

thanking you in advance

Thankyou for your interesting post.

I have sent you a PM

PopT

My grandmother, Ivy Hannah Wragg nee Rodgers, lived at Spitewinter as a child with her many brothers and sisters, in the early 1900's.

Ivy Hannah Rodgers was born in 1908.

Ivy Hannah Rodgers parents were called John and Mary Rodgers who lived at Spitewinter

Hello,

I know I'm a bit late to the party but I also traced my ancestors (Charlesworths) back to this farm in 1851. My name is Charlesworth. I just wondered if any of you had found any more information since your last postings?

I thought I'd post an update on what I found re -Spitewinter Farm.

The family always said that my one of my ancestors lived at Spitewinter Farm.

In fact he lived at Spitewinter Cottages.

The Farm is situated in the ered lea of the hill at Kirkedge, the cottages stand on the brow of the hill.

They now have been converted into one house but you can see they were originally two attached cottages.

My ancestor was a Gannister Miner and it is most likely he worked at the Gannister Mine which was situated opposite the lane going up to the cottages.

Happy Days! PopT

Thank you for the information and also for the tip!

Gina