Question about the houses around RAF Norton

Hello

Can anyone tell me anything about the history of the housing estate around RAF Norton - What I would like to know is ..

1) When were the RAF houses on Bowman Drive , Kew Crescent and Adastral Ave built ? They all appear to have been built at the same time.

2) Were the 1930's style semi-detached houses in the same area built earlier ? Were they part of the base housing or have they always been private ?

3) Were the officers on the base housed only on Lightwood Lane ?

4) Lastly how did the RAF dispose of the houses in the area ? Were they sold at an auction or sold by estate agents.

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

hi ( 1) the houses for the r.a.f. on bowman were built 52 to my knowledge

(2) as you say the older type 1930 were not part of the base

(3 ) the houses on lightwood were built 1955 5 in all for the station officers .There is a site some 2 months ago on here re this subject if i can trace it i will put it up, re officers quarters before lightwood, the station transport officer F/ L PITMAN lived in a bungalow behind the station guardroom,the station C/O W / C MUMMERY livid in a bungalow next to the officers mess which was opp the station sick quarters the building near to lightwood lane now with no roof on. some officers had caravans on site..the remainder of the married ones had houses / flats in sheffield .the single ones lived in the mess

(4) as far as i know the houses on bowman went in to council hands the lightwood i should think went private again more info on this in previous threads

HI THERE, I used to live on Kew Crescent and did so from being born 61 until married in 1984, My parents moved in from when they were built in 1958, I am talking about the very bottom of Kew Cres with the awkward turning and parking. These houses were originally been built by a private builder who went bust so the council continued to build and finish off and so moved in council tennants, My parents being one. It was a great crescent and every one new every one especially in the 60,s & 70,s. I had mates who lived on bowman drive & lunar croft and as previous thread these were built 55/56.

The rows of R.A.F houses became empty around 68-69 and these were a great place to play and explore the gardens, before being bought by the council and then like most houses around there now sold privately. we even used to explore the old R.A.F base before the hospital was built. During the war barragge ballons used to be sent up from there from what i have heard. hope this helps.

Hello

Can anyone tell me anything about the history of the housing estate around RAF Norton - What I would like to know is ..

1) When were the RAF houses on Bowman Drive , Kew Crescent and Adastral Ave built ? They all appear to have been built at the same time.

2) Were the 1930's style semi-detached houses in the same area built earlier ? Were they part of the base housing or have they always been private ?

3) Were the officers on the base housed only on Lightwood Lane ?

4) Lastly how did the RAF dispose of the houses in the area ? Were they sold at an auction or sold by estate agents.

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

I believe the houses on Lightwood Lane were officers' quarters. The ex-RAF housing on Lightwood Lane was used by the Lightwood House Hospital/ NHS as accommodation for the staff. (LHH was built in about 1979) I know Nurse Martin and her daughter(s) lived on there, in family accommodation, I was at school with her daughter, and later, I worked at the hospital with Nurse Martin.