Need cooker disconnecting and re-connecting in new house

hi im moving and as you can see from the title i need my cooker disconnecting and then connecting at the new property. im in need of qoutes and reccomendations asap thank you

Gas or electric? Which areas?

Gas is easy, you can do it yourself. It's just a bayonet fitting on a flexible hose.

There's clear instructions on the internet for doing it.

Gas is easy, you can do it yourself. It's just a bayonet fitting on a flexible hose.

Not exactly safe that though is it, don't go giving people ideas :o

its both gas hobs and electric oven but my hubby a electrician so just the gas and there is no way i would do it myself

An electrician should be Part P qualified to work in the kitchen, and issue a certificate for the work. If hubby is not so qualified, the work should be inspected by someone who is.

Or so they tell me.

If the gas connection has a bayonet fitting, then it designed to be installed by "untrained persons", that is, you can unplug/plug it in, similar to a plug-in electrical appliance. Most cookers nowadays come with a bayonet fitting. You can tell by looking at it, with a screw fitting you are likely to see some of the thread, with a bayonet fitting there's a largeish raised ring around the 'plug' that you hold to turn it.

Of course, the destination house needs to have a bayonet gas socket, otherwise you do need to get a gas fitter to put one in for you.

If the gas connection has a bayonet fitting, then it designed to be installed by "untrained persons", that is, you can unplug/plug it in, similar to a plug-in electrical appliance. Most cookers nowadays come with a bayonet fitting. You can tell by looking at it, with a screw fitting you are likely to see some of the thread, with a bayonet fitting there's a largeish raised ring around the 'plug' that you hold to turn it.

Of course, the destination house needs to have a bayonet gas socket, otherwise you do need to get a gas fitter to put one in for you.

Bayonet fixings make installation simpler, but weren't designed for use by 'untrained persons'. Although it might seem fairly safe to plug in a gas cooker with a bayonet fixing, IMO it should always be done by a qualified gas engineer registered with Gas Safe (previously Corgi). Its not so much the connection of the bayonet fixing, its general checking for things like leaks on the system and safe gas pressure. Any work on gas appliances should be done by qualified engineers, no matter how simple it seems. I'm sure a qualified gas engineer will correct me if I'm wrong.

Bayonet fixings make installation simpler, but weren't designed for use by 'untrained persons'. Although it might seem fairly safe to plug in a gas cooker with a bayonet fixing, IMO it should always be done by a qualified gas engineer registered with Gas Safe (previously Corgi). Its not so much the connection of the bayonet fixing, its general checking for things like leaks on the system and safe gas pressure. Any work on gas appliances should be done by qualified engineers, no matter how simple it seems. I'm sure a qualified gas engineer will correct me if I'm wrong.

Bayonet fittings were made for the average person to use.

To the extent that "connection or disconnection of a bayonet fitting or other self-sealing connector" is specifically excluded from the definition of "work" in relation to a gas fitting in the regulations.

The regulations also refer to work being done by a "competent" person not "trained". Competence level needed will depend upon the complexity of what is to be done.

My opinion is that if a person is not aware of what is possible and needs to ask for someone to do such work, it is better that they do not do it themselves until shown how to do it safely.

If a property has been empty for a while, before moving in, I would have checking and purging etc, done by an engineer. If you are just swapping straight over, like for like, I would do it myself.

Anyone being paid to work on gas MUST be GaseSafe registered.

Yes bayonets seem simple BUT when you vacate a property you can not leave a bayonet fitting, it should be removed and a cap end screwed into the back-plate to ensure gas tightness and this should only be done by a registered and insured gas-safe engineer. All this said, a gas hob does not have a bayonet and hose (although one or two are wrongly installed this way). The old supply will need capping and the new supply re-instating, ensuring a gas tap is on the new supply....which there rarely is. New work surface will need cutting out if not already prepared so not as straight forward as is first assumed. Lots to consider before anyone can give a realistic estimate

Oh dear!

I love this bit - 'Gas is easy', no putting your shoes on is easy, looking in a mirror is easy. Gas is dangerous and that is why regs are in place to protect us all. Shoes and mirrors won't blow you up, unless there in the possession of a terrorist of course.

I think its irresponsible to suggest an untrained person attempts anything to do with gas. I am a trained plumber and sparky and ALWAYS get a GASSAFE engineer in to cap off any gas work for me even though I know how to do it.

Also, I suspect Joe Bloggs is not insured for accidents relating to messing with gas fittings when not qualified.

Rant over. Get several quotes and get the trained guys to do it

The regulations also refer to work being done by a "competent" person not "trained". Competence level needed will depend upon the complexity of what is to be done.

I was using the wording in references to Ed Sirett's Gas Fitting FAQ. Yes, legally the term is "competent", but also that competence is self-tested. Gas-Safe certification (and Corgi outside England) is proof of competence, and is required for work done in return for reward (eg for money) (Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, Regulation 3 (1) and Regulation 3 (3)).

My opinion is that if a person is not aware of what is possible and needs to ask for someone to do such work, it is better that they do not do it themselves until shown how to do it safely.

True, if you're asking these sorts of questions in this sort of forum it is more-or-less proof of non-competency ;)

If a property has been empty for a while, before moving in, I would have checking and purging etc, done by an engineer.

True of any services in a long-empty property. Condensation can build up like buggery in unexpected places in a place left unheated for a long time. I had slugs in the consumer unit in my old place when I moved in.