Teenage mothers vs 40 year old+ mothers.

What age is it more acceptable for a woman to have a child?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What age is it more acceptable for a woman to have a child?

• In her teens
    • In her 40s

So the amount of teenage women giving birth is decreasing and the amount of older women giving birth is increasing.

But do you find it more socially acceptable for a women to give birth in her teens or in her 40s?

I don't really give a rat's arse what age a woman is when she gives birth. What really matters is whether she is capable of being a good mother - something which is not dependent on her age or, for that matter, whether she's got more/less money or more/less life experience or more/less energy.

It's more and more common to see older parents now. It looks like I shall be an old parent at this rate, but I don't mind. You have children when you are good and ready.... not by conforming to some social design.

I had my son when i was 19 (6 days short of 20) and I get frowned upon quite a lot. I don't think it's age that matters, it's whether or not they are responsible enough, mature enough, whether they are capable and whether or not they are willing to put the baby first. age doesn't decided whether or not you can love your child.

The baby will be healthier born from a teenage mum, but the kid will be more stable financially and socially if born from a mum in the 40's.

I don't really give a rat's arse what age a woman is when she gives birth. What really matters is whether she is capable of being a good mother - something which is not dependent on her age or, for that matter, whether she's got more/less money or more/less life experience or more/less energy.

Well said. The best Mums are those who love & put their kids first, no matter what the age.

The baby will be healthier born from a teenage mum, but the kid will be more stable financially and socially if born from a mum in the 40's.

Unless of course its an unemployed 40 year old :) Or the teenager has a steady job.

People should leave home at 16 or 17 and get a full time job- or if theyre the smart la-de-dah bourgeoise type, their parents should rent a bedsit for them when they go to college. The earlier you live alone (from a reasonable starting point) the better. (If they are emotionally immature, have other problems or are desperate for home comforts let them stay a few more years.)

At the moment most of the people living independently at 16/17 are care leavers and even they are being pushed (not by law, but by pressure from their keyworkers) to stay in care until their 18th birthday.

No-one has a good excuse to live with mum and dad past their ,say, 24th birthday. This nonsense of fully grown men and women at home, playing the field without stable relationships, going rent free and getting trashed with booze like they were still 15 on a park bench is execrable. Can't we all just grow up? A few centuries ago (even when we were more backward) it was recognised that a few years after puberty people should start leaving the grip of their parents and thinking about marriage. It was like that in Shakespeare plays, and that's not paedophilia- some people arent emotionally mature enough to cope with living alone at 17, but by EARLY twenties everyone should be in the habit. 27 year olds who don't work but live in luxury thanks to Mum and Dad's open-ended arrangement to put them up are annoying for those who try.

Edited by twoheartstop

Who apart from Daily Fail readers thinks that people have a right to say what age is "socially acceptable" to have kids?:huh:

Are we meant to make a list of what's "socially acceptable" for women to do with their lives, and then burn everyone who doesn't conform as witches?

I want babies never, some want them soon, some want them late. Nothing to do with anyone else either way.

I thought I'd bring this thread back up, on the cousin-breeding thread, people are all for banning it because of the risk of defects.

Yet on this thread, people think it more acceptable to have a child in your 40s than youth.

The funny thing is, doing so would more likely result in defects, than say breeding with your teenage cousin. How strange!

So the amount of teenage women giving birth is decreasing and the amount of older women giving birth is increasing.

But do you find it more socially acceptable for a women to give birth in her teens or in her 40s?

between the two, a woman in her 40s, why? stability for the child.

Despite being a young parent myself i'm not sure its socially acceptable, or even should be.. but have voted that way after a conversation with a friend a while ago who has much older parents... as this person neared their 20's, their parents were closer to 70's. They were quite upset by this.. therefore i'm off the idea.. plus, my parents are in their 40's and that is icky.

.....at the same time, each to their own, there are benefits and drawbacks to each and loving the child is what matters!

Edited by SatanInHeels

I thought I'd bring this thread back up, on the cousin-breeding thread, people are all for banning it because of the risk of defects.

Yet on this thread, people think it more acceptable to have a child in your 40s than youth.

The funny thing is, doing so would more likely result in defects, than say breeding with your teenage cousin. How strange!

the custom of cousins marrying cousins who marry there cousins who marry there cousins etc etc etc,