Teenage mothers vs 40 year old+ mothers.

What age is it more acceptable for a woman to have a child?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What age is it more acceptable for a woman to have a child?

• In her teens
    • In her 40s

Despite being a young parent myself i'm not sure its socially acceptable, or even should be.. but have voted that way after a conversation with a friend a while ago who has much older parents... as this person neared their 20's, their parents were closer to 70's. They were quite upset by this.. therefore i'm off the idea.. plus, my parents are in their 40's and that is icky.

.....at the same time, each to their own, there are benefits and drawbacks to each and loving the child is what matters!

whats icky is kids of teenage parents failing in life due to having a parent who is a child.:roll:

whats icky is kids of teenage parents failing in life due to having a parent who is a child.:roll:

Totally agree... not saying it is always okay.... :roll:

I was a child when I had my daughter... care to tell me why she will fail in life because of this? All honest opinions on this welcome as i would love to know in advance where i will go wrong :huh::help:

Edited by SatanInHeels

I voted in her 40s. My mum was 40 when she had me. She's 65 now and still has more energy than I do! I feel tired just hearing about all the stuff she gets up to! I think my sister and I benefited from my parent's stable relationship (29th wedding anniversary the other weekend in fact!), home, financial situation and perhaps most importantly life experience.

I'm not saying all teens make bad mothers or anything like that but they are probably less likely to have a stable, lasting relationship with the father, be financially stable, have a suitable home etc. Which are things that I think are important in bringing up children. I personally wouldn't have children before getting married for example.

I was 30 when I had my daughter having been married 12 years - 4 years later I was separated and then divorced, so please don't think that just because you are married and think you are in a stable relationship that it will last once children arrive!

I was a child when I had my daughter... care to tell me why she will fail in life because of this? All honest opinions on this welcome as i would love to know in advance where i will go wrong :huh::help:

guess not then.

Where's the 'neither of the above' option? Both options have their good and bad points, imo. If I had to make a choice, a couple in their mid 20s to mid 30s would be it.

her life chances are less due to her circumstances. however i was talking on a national level not about you or your child.

her life chances are less due to her circumstances. however i was talking on a national level not about you or your child.

Fair point.

Why do you think these children are doomed to fail though? all i was asking.. .

I was 17 when I became a dad and I am still with her mum. I personally would have liked to hold on for a good few years before I grew my first crop but what will be will be and I love my daughter more than anything on this planet.

However, some responses on this thread seem abit ignorant in my opinion. Through reading this thread, theres the usual too unstable and not enough money assumptions made against teenage parents. I am by no means rolling in it, but through spending wisely me and girlfriend cope well, are very stable and we provide well for our daughter.

A mum is a mum at the end of the day. You can be 18 or 48 and bring up equally stable children. Its all about attitude and its very unfair to judge what sort of a parent someone will be by their age!

Edited by Krouch

Some teenagers aren't grown up enough, or settled in proper relationships. Depends on the person really.