Rock/Metal bars

Hiya,

I've cruised through a few of the other threads relating to this but they're really old (4 + years old).

My friends and I have been looking for somewhere new to go out at weekends.

These are the places we've visited frequently, and while they are good - a fresh place to go too would be great

Nelson Rock Bar

Dove n Rainbow

Corporation (death by Corp.. Saturday night is the only decent night).

So yeah, does anyone know of any places that play rock/metal - either bars or clubs 'cause I'm struggling to find any others.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

I know I've seen more recent threads, last couple of months or so, so probably worth another look.

Personally, I tend to stick to the Nelson, the Dove and occassionally Corp as well, so I think you know the main obvious ones.

Casbah on Fridays certainly used to have a metal night downstairs which I think still happens when there isn't a gig.

West Street Live have some good bands on, but not exclusively rock/metal. Think they have a DJ playing rock on a certain night as well, though that may not be a regular thing - Jared on here can no doubt tell you.

Other than that, someone will probably recommend the Sportsman but, not having been here in its heyday, I really can't see why nowadays. The Stockroom had a lot of punk stuff, not sure about metal, but that's due to close shortly. The Grapes have been known to have metal bands on and there and the Washington have a mix of all sorts of folks there and all sorts of music on, so Id suggest they're worth a look, though definitely not exclusively rock/metal.

There are probably others but those are the main places in the centre I'd suggest off the top of my head.

I know I've seen more recent threads, last couple of months or so, so probably worth another look.

Personally, I tend to stick to the Nelson, the Dove and occassionally Corp as well, so I think you know the main obvious ones.

Casbah on Fridays certainly used to have a metal night downstairs which I think still happens when there isn't a gig.

West Street Live have some good bands on, but not exclusively rock/metal. Think they have a DJ playing rock on a certain night as well, though that may not be a regular thing - Jared on here can no doubt tell you.

Other than that, someone will probably recommend the Sportsman but, not having been here in its heyday, I really can't see why nowadays. The Stockroom had a lot of punk stuff, not sure about metal, but that's due to close shortly. The Grapes have been known to have metal bands on and there and the Washington have a mix of all sorts of folks there and all sorts of music on, so Id suggest they're worth a look, though definitely not exclusively rock/metal.

There are probably others but those are the main places in the centre I'd suggest off the top of my head.

Hiya,

Cheers for the suggestions. Yeah I've been to the Casbah - while it is good on Friday and Saturdays (at least in the downstairs room), it's very samey and you can pretty much predict the songs that are going to come on. Expensive drinks too...!

I went to the Sportsman a couple of months back expecting it to be a bit more riffy.. It was quite a nice atmosphere but the closest they got to rock was Phil Collins.

Might need to check out West Street Live/The Grapes though. It doesn't matter if it's not exclusively rock/metal. It's more a bid to avoid pubs/clubs filled with chavs and tarts with crappy background music playing.

Thanks again!

Edited by RebelAtHeart

We at Mentholmans@West St Live are not an out and out rock bar but nonetheless rock and metal feature heavily in our entertainments programme. We have 2 to 3 rock and metal nights on varying days Sunday to Wednesday- Wednesdays usually being the main one and the other night(s) generally being monday or tuesday with the odd exception. We're having a rock night tonight (Thursday) but generally it's quite rare we do rock on Thursdays. The reason we don't have genre designated nights is because we strive to book the best acts we can for the venue on any given night and don't want to turn down bands or promoters that request to play a specific night if it's in our interest (and the interest of them and their fans) that they take to the stage on that particular date.

DJ Lez Wright of the Nelson and Rebels fame is our Friday night resident DJ where we mainly have rock cover bands accompanying him (with the odd exception as aforementioned according to the nature of what bands we can get at any particular time). And I man the decks on Saturdays playing an eclectic mix of mainly famous songs from the 60s to the 00s.

As somebody who is a music lover and not a music hater I like nearly all types of music from Bangra to Grime to Indie to Metal to Hip Hop to Budapest Gyspy Folk to Electro with lots and lots in between. As such, whilst I appreciate people have their favourite types of music I strive not to encourage genreism which is why we embrace all kinds of stuff indiscriminately as a venue.

Hiya,

Cheers for the suggestions. Yeah I've been to the Casbah - while it is good on Friday and Saturdays (at least in the downstairs room), it's very samey and you can pretty much predict the songs that are going to come on. Expensive drinks too...!

I went to the Sportsman a couple of months back expecting it to be a bit more riffy.. It was quite a nice atmosphere but the closest they got to rock was Phil Collins.

Might need to check out West Street Live/The Grapes though. It doesn't matter if it's not exclusively rock/metal. It's more a bid to avoid pubs/clubs filled with chavs and tarts with crappy background music playing.

Thanks again!

That must have been on a friday night - there was a mix up due to old advertising in the star, and a load of people turned up wanting 70's and 80's stuff :hihi:

However, that worked so well they kept doing it (for some reason rock only works there on a saturday !)

Try it now on a saturday - you may be surprised :headbang:

Or, this bank holiday sunday - rock from 3pm till midnight...

Edited by Ghostrider

I'm going here tonight to celebrate a friends new job:

http://www.syntheticisland.co.uk

Never been before, think they only started playing good music. They close at 3am, I keep trying to get these nights to stay open longer like Zogg does, even by offering myself up as free barstaff for the end of the night.

The Washington on Devonshire Green is a (sort-of) rock pub, has classic rock mainly. Although you will struggle to find a seat its always packed!

Anyone know if Casbah is open on Bank Holiday sunday, looking for an indie night out!

Casbah, The Grapes and The Boardwalk all have rock-oriented live music a lot of the time!