4 day inca treck (camino) - peru

hi all ye walkers!!!

i was hoping i could get some advice or info about the 4 day inca treck to macchu picchu.

me and my husband are planning to go in september. we havent really done much walking before but our aim is to get fit and ready for then. I have heard its quite hard, 8 hrs of walking per day with backpacks, steep hills and potentially awful weather.

has anyone been? whats it like?

thanks

Hi,

Welcome to the group. First of all, I've never walked it or been there. Although, it is on my list of places to visit. I am envious really!!

I will be climbing Kilimanjaro in February so I shall be intensifying my own training for that. Although, different parts of the world, the fact remains there will be similarities so training might go along the same lines.

What I would suggest, going on what I have researched so far, is to build up your stamina. You need to get used to walking for long periods i.e. more than several hours per day. Also, you need to get used to walking with a pack on your back. Just ensure you carry your pack with you when you are out and about. Fill it with items that you will carting up the hill to get used to the weight and build up your shoulders. Finally, get used to those hills. All pain now will be all gain later when you finally head up the hill. Incorporate big hills into your lengthy walks, don't be scared.... it might hurt or cause a little discomfort initially, but after a while you will get used to the workload and you will then find it a doddle.

Other than the above, just try and remain as fit as you can. You don't have to be a super athlete, however, but it does make it easier if you look after yourself.

I hope this helps. I am more than happy to advise and/or offer more help where needed.

AO.

really if you have not done much walking then you need to start now really, you need to build up to at least doing 10 miles, with back pack, you need to get use to walking up hills it would not be sensible to go with only doing a little walking for many reasons but also it it not enjoyable either. best of luck to you both.x

I believe you can also hire porters to carry your stuff up if your feeling flush, but don't quote me on that, I may be remembering this wrong!

Remember altitude may be a factor as well but there's not much you can do to prepare for that.

Aside from that, AO and MissChatter are correct, there's no substitute for training if you want to enjoy yourself rather than be miserable and exhausted the whole time.

Good luck on the trip, it should be great.

hey guys

thanks for the advice. training training training!

stephen99 i think you are right many people hire porters to carry most of their stuff and apparently we shouldn't feel bad about it. well see how we feel when we get there.

so this weekend were are buying our walking boots and planning our first few walks to get us going. any suggestions? we are going to join a local walking group but for our first big walk are there any good places to start?

thanks

hey guys

thanks for the advice. training training training!

stephen99 i think you are right many people hire porters to carry most of their stuff and apparently we shouldn't feel bad about it. well see how we feel when we get there.

so this weekend were are buying our walking boots and planning our first few walks to get us going. any suggestions? we are going to join a local walking group but for our first big walk are there any good places to start?

thanks

If you have little or no walking experience and you are panning your boots in, I would suggest a small walk initially. The last thing you need is to go steaming in and causing yourself injury. Especially with the new boots.

Not sure where you are in relation to Sheffield etc. There are many decent pathed walks that take little or no navigation at all.

If you give me an idea as to where you are then I might be able to be more specific with my choice of walks to give you.

we're basically in the north of derbyshire. we have look in our local mag for organised walks and we have a few jotted in out diary but if you have specific suggestions that would be great.

also if you have suggestions on which walking boots to get that would be good too :)

The major issue with the Inca trail is the altitude, which everyone I know that has walked the trail has found an issue, even those who were really fit. My sister took a month on walking Peru during the last total solar eclipse which she watched at Macchu Picchu.

She was very self-disciplined and took only a day pack with her for the month, knowing that she was going to have to carry it all every day and that she would have to add bedding etc which was hired locally.

So my advice would be not just to get in training with the walking, but to carry a pack while you do it and to get as aerobically fit as you can with gym work if you can't get out and walk for a few days. The fitter you are aerobically the less problem you'll have with the walk and that will also play a small part in reducing your altitude sickness.

we're basically in the north of derbyshire. we have look in our local mag for organised walks and we have a few jotted in out diary but if you have specific suggestions that would be great.

also if you have suggestions on which walking boots to get that would be good too :)

I will start with walking boots. You are best going to Go Outdoors to try varying types of boot (you don't necessarily have to purchase the boots from there, just try and then maybe buy what you like online if cheaper). They have a little assault course you can walk to see how the feel on different surfaces. All I would advise is, don't skimp (you don't have to go totally overboard) as there is no substitute for a good pair of boots. Also, ensure you get boots that support the ankle (essential when you are climbing a rocky and somewhat uneven surface).

Places to walk. As you are both novices, I suppose you will want something that is easy to navigate and/or not too long in distance? Try one of the many reservoirs - they have good networks of paths around them and they are ideal for your first session. If you want to incorporate hills into your walk then my advice would be to start small and work up. A good reservoir walk with a nice little hill, try Langsett.

If you need more advice as you go along, I am more than happy to help. If you fancy a walk, you could always join us for a walk. We have many people within the group who have great knowledge of routes, equipment and even climbing at altitude.

hi

we would actually really like to join a walking group. where do you guys walk? do you have a diary or something so i can see if we can make any?

thanks

hi

we would actually really like to join a walking group. where do you guys walk? do you have a diary or something so i can see if we can make any?

thanks

Hi Sheffield Shamblers have a diary in this very forum JUNE DIARY

hi bruno thanks for the info. ive just had a look at your site.

do we need to inform someone that well be turning up or can we just decide to come whenever?