Can anyone tell me what Pitsmoor is like to live in?

hi there,

my boyfriend and i are looking to buy our first house and are interested in a house on nottingham st. in pitsmoor. can anyone advise on what it's like? also S5, shirecliffe?

ta!

katy :wink:

Originally posted by "kt"

hi there,

my boyfriend and i are looking to buy our first house and are interested in a house on nottingham st. in pitsmoor. can anyone advise on what it's like? also S5, shirecliffe?

ta!

katy :wink:

Pitsmoor has a bad reputation for drugs and crime and it always seems a bit old and run down to me. However, there is quite a few old people who live there so it's not all bad. Shirecliffe is just up the road from Pitsmoor. Now, I know there has recently been some brand new housing estates built up there which is good. were you planning on moving into one of those? The other coucil houes up there are very old and there has been talk about demolishing them all but the residents are fighting this. On the whole I would say Shirecliffe is a better area than Pitsmoor but Shirecliffe itself is far fom perfect.

thanks for your reply!

kt :wink:

I have just moved from Pitsmoor to Shirecliffe and I want to go back. Re the new housing developement it is on top of the hill directly above a landfill site and the residents are complaining about the smells. I would say investigate first. Its a good idea to knock on doors or speak to people in the street and ask their opinion. Most of the old flats and maisonettes in Pitsmoor are being demolished and a lot of old people there have lived there most if not all of their lives. Like anywhere there is good and bad . Its reputation is not entirely deserved.

Originally posted by "mslotus"

I have just moved from Pitsmoor to Shirecliffe and I want to go back. Re the new housing developement it is on top of the hill directly above a landfill site and the residents are complaining about the smells. I would say investigate first. Its a good idea to knock on doors or speak to people in the street and ask their opinion. Most of the old flats and maisonettes in Pitsmoor are being demolished and a lot of old people there have lived there most if not all of their lives. Like anywhere there is good and bad . Its reputation is not entirely deserved.

Why do you want to go back?

Yes, I knew as soon as those houses on the top of the hill were been built that there would be an awful smell from the tip. Back when the collge was there in the summer the stench used to be unbearable and even o the red hot summer days the windows would be always shut to try to control the smell.

thanks, mslotus

good advice about asking people who live there. i do think that lots of areas can have good and bad sides- sometimes it does seem to vary from street to street! also, i think the property market is getting so crazy and the more desirable areas are so hard to get into that other areas are becoming more desirable through osmosis! do you or anyone else have an ABSOLUTE no-go area? perhaps that would be easier.

see ya :D

I personally would not consider buying in Page Hall. It has more than its fair share of would be formula 1 drivers, the streets are narrow, the houses old terraced ones and several late night take aways. It also attracts lots of young people hanging around on the corners at all hours. During the day it is a busy through route as it is near a major hospital, and there are a lot of asian shops which open late and this creates a lot of careless parking and congestion. I have friends who live at Wincobank, however some parts are better than others. The parts around Sandstone Rd seem the best. Good luck with the house hunting. I hope you are happy in your new home wherever it is.

Originally posted by "mslotus"

I personally would not consider buying in Page Hall. It has more than its fair share of would be formula 1 drivers, the streets are narrow, the houses old terraced ones and several late night take aways. It also attracts lots of young people hanging around on the corners at all hours. During the day it is a busy through route as it is near a major hospital, and there are a lot of asian shops which open late and this creates a lot of careless parking and congestion. I have friends who live at Wincobank, however some parts are better than others. The parts around Sandstone Rd seem the best. Good luck with the house hunting. I hope you are happy in your new home wherever it is.

The best thing about Page Hall is cheap house prices.

Nottingham Street in Pitsmoor is probably the only place in that vacinaty worth living, the houses are old Victorian type but they are good solid houses. The rest of Pitsmoor give it a miss.

I lived there when they built it in 63 until i got married and it is not the same place.

Its riddled with drugs and crime and most of it is about to be demolished because nobody wants to live there exept a few hardy ones that have been there since they were built, and that is only a handfull.

Shirecliffe is far from perfect but is a massive improvement on Pitsmoor.

Try Longley, Wincobank or Cookswood side of Shirecliffe.

Originally posted by "The Cycleracer"

Try Longley, Wincobank or Cookswood side of Shirecliffe.

I know someone who lives on Cookswood side of Shirecliffe but while this person really likes the house. They often mention dodgy characters walking up and down Cookswood at unsociable hours and looking in every house window. Most of the houses have been broke into or had an attempted break in and almost all have now got alarms. This person believes that the people walking up Cookswood are from the Pitsmoor estate.

thanks for all your replies, guys

i am having to move back with my parents for a while though now as in dire straits with money. damn these high rent costs :x

hope to come back to sheffield at some point in the future though!

take care,

katy and michael

I lived in Pitsmoor for a while last year, but Im now back in Manchester.

But Im thinking of coming back to Sheffield quite soon, and would move back to Pitsmoor.

It's not the preitiest place to live and is a bit dodgy at night if your not clued up on which roads are a no-go.

Saying that I never had any trouble whatsoever and I rolled in at all hours!

It might be different for a girl or a student type tho(no offence!).

There's plenty of shops and fast food places open late, some cracking West Indian Take Aways.

Pubs are crap tho, but the bus into the town center was only 55p when I was there, ran regular nearly all night and only take 10 mins or so.