Microsoft phone calls

I have just had a phone call from Michael Smith from the Technical Department of Microsoft Certified. He had an Indian? accent. I asked him for a phone number and he gave 0201 4456890. He said he was in Luton.

He said he had received an error report form my IP address which he said was 192.168.12.1 and said my PC had been hacked and needed immediate attention.

He wanted me to use IE to browse http://www.teamviewer.com - looks like a good hacking tool to me! I ended the call there.

A lot of people could be vulnerable to these scams!

It's definitely a scam, I know of a lot of people who've been caught out with this.

I use teamviewer when helping the family out with their pc issues. Good reliable tool for accessing their pc remotely, but I can imagine the implications were it to be Mick Smith from India on the other end...

If you know the person requesting the session, then teamviewer is a great tool, if not - then you've done well to steer clear!

I had one of those calls once. Strung them along for a good twenty minutes before I told him that none of my computers actually run any Windows software.

My mum got one too when I was at her place and answered. Needless to say the "gentleman" sounded Indian and I gave him a lesson in profanity.

Be aware that there is a scam going on currently where someone rings you claiming to be from Microsofts Technical Support team and they say they have detected viruses on your computer which if you don't get rid of will severely damage your PC. They then tell you to log onto a particular website which is supposed to show you proof that your computer is infected with the nasty virus. They then say they can fix it if you follow their instructions.

Sometimes they may ask you to download software which allows them to take over your PC so they can later get your bank account details/passwords etc. Sometimes they just give you some bogus instructions which they claim will remove the problem and then they try to charge you for doing this and ask for your credit/debit card details. Sometimes they will say your computer is too badly damaged by the virus that it cannot be repaired and they try to sell you a new one. So be aware and don't fall for it.

Theres quite a few threads about this in the computer & tech section, its been going on ages.

This happened to me a about a month ago. My hubby took the call initially and after telling the caller that I was the one who used the PC mainly the caller said ok. The next day the Scammer called again and asked for me and said all of the above that my PC was in danger and they were management from microscoft windows. I said "Oh really" they then asked me to switch on my PC and follow instructions they would impart to me. I told them that I was disabled and couldnt get to my PC at that point in time and that I would let my technician look at the problem for me. I had guessed by then that things were not as they should be and this was later verified by an article in The Star. Be very aware like the OP states they can access your PC and download all your data.

Goes without saying that the likes of Microsoft wouldn't ring asking for details anyway and a legitimate virus threat would be combatted the usual way

Iv'e seen this scam a lot recently.

you've got to ask yourself, why would and how would Microsoft ring you?

Your usually directed to a dodgy website and infected with a virus that only they can fix .lol

Never give any details of anything! to people on the phone WHO RING YOU!

I never get calls like this :( I am missing a great source of entertainment it seems.