What was the Grove, Sheffield

The Grove is now part of Sheffield Hallam University and is a Nursery. Any more information or photos would be wonderful to show to the children.

Hi all im looking for more info and how people would be able to access their records from the late 1950'/60's from the grove .. my mum was in The Grove around this time with her siblings, i wonder if anyone remembers her? she was in with her sister and possibly her brother, names are Lorraine, Sonia, and Carl Pickering, any help would be great!! thanks in advance ;)

Hello Tinkys I worked at The Grove as a housemother during the time you mention.

I do believe that I remember your mother and sister and brother.

They were a very close loving little family. The older girls really looked out for their little brother- particularly the older one- she was a little mother.

When I tucked Carl in bed at night he was in a room by himself .

The bigger boys were in a different room. I was well aware that after I turned the corner of the landing his big sister would creep into his room and stay with him until he was asleep. I left The Grove for further education and they were still there at that time. Over the years I often wondered what happened to them.

The Grove was a reception center and a first class one. Mr Siddall saw to that. He took very good care of the children placed in his care. On breakfast duty one morning I got a scolding from Mr Siddall because a slice of toast was, in his opinion burned and, no child at the Grove ate burnt toast. I sure learned the workings of that toaster in a hurry!

Tinkys they were lovely children, and, after all these years I remember them with fondness.

Bthany1

Hi I was in the Grove from 1963 to 1967 and then moved a couple of houses down to The Working Girls hostel. You have to leave at 16. I remember mr (Norman) Siddall & his wife Margaret,Miss Melia and a rather glamourus house mother who we called Gloria Redcar on account of her having a red sports car! The names of the children I remember are- Mike Reed,Ann Reed,Eva McGee,Angela Eggleston,Sharon white (gorgeous looking girl) ,Val Owouzie,Christine Pickora, and a whole host of whom I can only recall there first names. I used to love going on the long walks in the country side with the Siddalls on which one occasion Mrs Siddall slipped whilst crossing a brook and broke her leg really badly,the bone sticking out! I also recall going with a group of us to the sheffields Classic cinema to be guest of Jimmy Saville (say no more) From that day on I always used to call him a dirty old man and Mrs Siddall used to get very cross with me-hey ho! Does anyone remember there being a convent at the top of the road that took in unmarried mothers (this included me)?

Did not the Leisure Club on Myers Grove Lane ,Malin Bridge. Close and then reopened for a short time afterwards called the Grove.

Hi, can anyone give some information on what was the Grove in Sheffield?

I think it may have been some kind of childen's home, I came across mention of it while researching a family tree

It was a children's home on Broomgrove road,Ecclesall in Sheffield taking children from the ages of 4 to 16 or when they left school.

I have just found this thread, my mother & her brothers were in this home late 1950- early 60’s, hopefully someone may recall them? Sandra, Phillip, syndney and Barry Eaton, although Barry was adopted quite soon after admission, they ended up there due to paternal & maternal death.

thankfully my mum has positive memories of this place, she lived there for many years,aged 8-15. She recalls the maternity home opposite & mr and mrs siddall, 

• Thanks 1

Bethany1… funny you should mention your families names.. I wonder if my mother subconsciously has remembered them? 
my mum was in the grove 1950/60, later she went on to have 3 girls. Lorraine, Sonia & me…Amanda. 

I just saw this about the Grove where I was placed along with Denise (shipped off to Cherry Tree Orphanage) and Sharon (cottage homes) I remember a girl of about 9 called Margaret Robinson, Terence Bull (Mr Sidhal gave him a black eye) Janet Theobald who was always punching me. (I gave her a black eye then we were friends) Miss Bell was quite nice, Mrs Sidhal also nice, Miss Melia. Recall scrubbing the floors the night Kennedy get shot.