What was the Grove, Sheffield

Hi, can anyone give some information on what was the Grove in Sheffield?

I think it may have been some kind of childen's home, I came across mention of it while researching a family tree

What year?

Are you certain it was in Sheffield as there is a Grove Children's Home in Scawby, Scunthorpe.

Lookng in the 1974 Kellys Directory, the Grove is in Heatfield S17, its in Totley, go on picturesheffield and you will find it there.

Edited by lazarus

Many thanks for the replies, and I will try the picturesheffield

i was in the grove in the late 50s it was a council run childrens home

i believe it was an assessment center lenth of stay 6 weeks when i was sent toeveringham rd childrens home

• Thanks 1

There certainly is a Grove road, at the bottom of Totley Rise S17, I went to school on that road, 53-58, but dont remember a childrens home being their.

i was in the grove...it was a big house set in landscaped gardenson either southgrove or broomgrove road...cant remember which

• Like 1

Many thanks for the replies, and and the information, it is very much appreciated. It also go's to show, don't give up, I hadnt had a reply to this post since the end of May, and I'd just about given up on it.

The Grove was on Broomgrove Road just off Ecclesall Road ..i was there in 1960 when Mr and Mrs Siddall ran the assessment centre.. fond memories..

Edited by silvi
  • Confused 1

theres more information on the grove in the fulwood cottage homes threads...a lot of kids were in one of these two places...difference was the staff at the grove were sensitive to kids who had nobody to look afterv them through no fault of their own...totally different to the ethics at fulwood....im amazed the council got away with such cruerlty

• Thanks 1

Thanks again for your replies. and "anlabystreet" I was in Fullwood cottage homes, it was my first taste of being brought up in childcare. I was there from the age of 3 to 5 years before being moved to Mather Road at Darnal, group home. then being fosterd to a family at Richmond. Luckily with being so young at that time, I only have a few memories of Fullwood. My total time in childcare spans from the age of 3 year and 4 momths to just before my 18th Birthday. The experience was far from good, and I would fight tooth and nail to keep any kid from having to go into care.

• Like 1