Winter - a miserable time of year

Originally posted by purplepippa

I hate getting colds and flu.

Sorry PP but it has actually been scientifically proven that getting colds/flu has nothing to do with being cold!! because when you get cold bacteria gets cold meaning it goes into dorment mode meaning that you should be at less risk!! and when its hot baacteria multiplies!!

Sorry

and any way its not even cold yet im still wearing shorts to school all i need is summat to keeep my ears warm and gloves to keep my hands warm and the rest does itself!!

Fletch

Originally posted by Fletch

Sorry PP but it has actually been scientifically proven that getting colds/flu has nothing to do with being cold!! because when you get cold bacteria gets cold meaning it goes into dorment mode meaning that you should be at less risk!! and when its hot baacteria multiplies!!

Fletch

You forget that we spend much more time indoors breathing recirculated air in the winter than we do in summer, multiplying the number of possible exposures to flu and cold viruses.

So winter does mean more colds and flu. If your body ever grew cold enough to stop bacteria from reproducing, you'd be dead!

dont you think snow is romantic?i do i dont know why tho!!!

Originally posted by Fletch

b) We are due another 10-year bad winter and the last one was in 1988 when we had something like 2-3ft of snow WOOOO!!!! (I'm only guessing the figures I wasn’t born then so sorry if i’m wrong)

Crikey, I feel old now! What fun it was in '88... :thumbsup:

i didnt say it was "winter" that meant we dont have as many colds i said that being cold means we get less colds.

but it is true that if we did get cold enough to make bacteria go into dorment mode we would be dead but the colder we get the more dorment they get!! that is true

Fletch

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

...clear blue skies, frosty mornings, roasted chestnuts, snowball fights, cosy evenings in front of the crackling log fire...

And Carl Warking:)

I'm with Mo. We should appreciate the changing seasons we get in the UK. They break up the year nicely. I understand that winter can bring some discomfort, and even misery, especially to the elderly, but it has a lot going for it too (see other posts). Besides, if it wasn't for winter, you wouldn't appreciate spring and summer.

Originally posted by Mo

Don't agree Hal, I love all the seasons. Our climate in the UK is so varied that you never become bored with it. The landscape constantly changes too which all adds to the interest.

I can see though if you live alone how the evenings/nights must seem endless. You'll have to come to the chatroom more often :D

The downside of winter for me is the HUGE electricity and gas bills I get. I have the heating on non-stop I'm afraid so you can imagine the ££££££s just clocking up.

I think that whether you like summer or winter is all about if you burn or tan.

I burn so badly with the slightest inclination so summer is a perpetual nightmare for me, plus i don't like being too hot.

At least in winte you can put on loads of clothes and be toasty.

Winter anyday for me, despite having to get up at 6:30, (it seems much earlier in the dark.

Wilf

Originally posted by BrainThrust

I think that whether you like summer or winter is all about if you burn or tan.

I burn so badly with the slightest inclination so summer is a perpetual nightmare for me, plus i don't like being too hot.

Ahh, this is true for me too. I only have to look at the sun and I go lobster red. By the time I've slapped on my factor 30 I've lost interest in sitting out in the sun 'cause I also know I'll just stay pale and white. *Sigh*

At least in the winter most of the folks who are in the UK won't be suntanned either!

I'm not a fan of hot weather so I don't mind Winter that much. I like the daytime in winter, it's just the cold dark mornings that I dislike.

All our seasons have something good about them.

SPRING = Fresh growth and a feeling of awakening.

SUMMER = Balmy evenings, barbies, flowers, insects and stuff.

AUTUMN = Golden colours, clear frosty mornings, chestnuts.

WINTER = Snow scenes, (my garden looks as good as everyone else's), Christmas, looking forward to Spring.

Now the other version ----

SPRING = Noisy bloody birds breeding.

SUMMER = Wasps, horrible heatwaves, fat people in shorts!

AUTUMN = Slippy leaves, washing covered in purple bird-crap.

WINTER = Slush, car frozen-up, bloody cold, looking forward to those noisy bloody blackbirds breeding, again!

What the hell, we've the best climate in the world. Something for everyone.