Help! in need of some advice.

right, about 3 weeks ago my dad went to lancashire to look at a car, he liked it and test drove it, everything was fine. he had to wait a couple of days to buy the car untill the dealer had taxed and mot'd it.

a few days later he went back bought the car and drove home, as he got on to the slip road off the M1 the car cut out (which would have been extremely dangerous if it had happened seconds before) he thought nothing of it at the time, just thought it was him stalling being a new car an all. as he got closer to home the car kept cutting out, he finally got it home and now it wont start at all.

he has been in touch with the dealers he bought it from who keep fobbing him off sayin they will get the owner to get in touch, which has not happened.

my dad has been to trading standards who sent him a letter to send to the dealer informing him of the problem and asking him to get in touch, which my dad did and got no responce. 2 weeks later TS sent him another saying that due to failure of responce the matter will be taken to court. witch a week later still no responce.

my dad has been on to trading standards again asking if he could fix the car and claim back for the bill, 1 person says no dont do that dont even drive the car but when he speaks to someone else they tell him to take the car back to the dealer. the dealer is 90 miles away how is he expected to drive a car to lancashire that does not work??

also i believe under the sales of goods act false advertising is illegal and TS have to interviene?? as my dad has been on VOSA to check the service history which is not a full one as stated when he bought the car.

trading standards are of no help saying there is nothing they can do. any help would be greatly appreciated as it is getting very stressful

the car dealers is :

<removed>

Edited by Ms Macbeth
removed name and address

Hmm werent they on rogue traders? Someone with a simualr name was so I am not sure. Anyone look it up?

really?? i will have a look now, trading standards also said the only way they would interviene is if <removed> had several complaints against them

Edited by Ms Macbeth
removed name

here is another comment i found about them dated feb this year

Be very careful if purchasing a used car from here

My husband and I bought a VW Passat from this garage and were not offered any warranty with this vehicle. Immediately the ABS warning light came on as did the Emissions Workshop light, the Engine Workshop light and the Brake light. I contacted the garage who assured me that the car was in perfect order on the date of sale and could not provide any explanation to these faults. I would not recommend purchasing a vehicle from here as we now have to sort these faults out ourself within owning the vehicle for only two weeks. I have two young children and feel very disappointed that the car salesman was happy to compromise their safety.

my dad has a 28 day warranty on his tho, and still they fail to do anything about it. thanks for that tho ngj31uk!

cant u contact the police about it and see what they say

we have tried but as <removed> are not gettin in touch with my dad there is nothing they will do, it really is getting beyond a joke now! you apparently have all these "rights" but when push comes to shove no one wants to know.

really really dont no were to go with this now

Edited by Ms Macbeth
name removed

you could always go to the local news paper and name and shame them see if you have any joy here is the address

Lancashire Telegraph,

1 High Street,

Newspaper House,

Blackburn, Lancashire,

BB1 1HT

if this is any help to you

thanks alot! worth a shot as were running out of options

if i was you go back to dealers and give him a lesson

Well that was our first thought but then that aint gonna solve gettin 3 grand back lol so had to go through proppa channels lol

I would be tempted to take a friend over to the garage and get them to take out a really expensive car for a test drive then meet up with you and your dad on a derelict industrial estate.. Your money back or you keep the test drive car.. That should jolt him into action as you have a warranty on the broken car and possesion is 9 / 10 of the law ..