Woodhouse REALLY needs sorting out!

I have owned and let a property in Woodhouse for the past seventeen years.

When I first bought the property as an investment, Woodhouse was quite a charming little village. Wonderful old buildings, a warm, friendly community built on generations of local families, a plentiful supply of amenities, and an excellent network of transport links to the city centre and the motorway.

What on earth has gone wrong?

There has been the introduction of a halfway house for ex-convicts of every crime you can think of, to allow them to re-integrate with society. A council estate that is used to re-house the dregs of Sheffield, and as a result, a night time drink and drug culture that leads to fights and arrest’s almost every night!

Perhaps the powers that be, have decided that this once Gem of a village is far enough out of sight to be out of mind, and dumped the lot on it!! :mad:

I posted about an incident yesterday and then felt a bit judgemental because I had labelled people who live on council estates. I live near the square and i see the flotsam and jetsam drift past on an hourly basis, usually in packs and when old enough (post 15) with buggies and dogs. It might only be about 20 odd people that are causing all the problems.

I see the stark choices they are forced to make when I queue behind them in Costcutter, food for the kids or more alcohol, people pleading with partners to put the cider back and buy some food.

I have lived in many places and am from Handsworth originally. I bought on this side of town because I got more for my money but there's no influx of diversity and nothing unique apart from a few pretty buildings and a bit of history - just pubs, tanning salons and betting shops. The other side of the City is a complete contrast.

I have owned and let a property in Woodhouse for the past seventeen years.

When I first bought the property as an investment, Woodhouse was quite a charming little village. Wonderful old buildings, a warm, friendly community built on generations of local families, a plentiful supply of amenities, and an excellent network of transport links to the city centre and the motorway.

What on earth has gone wrong?

There has been the introduction of a halfway house for ex-convicts of every crime you can think of, to allow them to re-integrate with society. A council estate that is used to re-house the dregs of Sheffield, and as a result, a night time drink and drug culture that leads to fights and arrest’s almost every night!

Perhaps the powers that be, have decided that this once Gem of a village is far enough out of sight to be out of mind, and dumped the lot on it!! :mad:

the halfway house (on beighton road?) has been there since i lived in woodhouse.......longer than 17 years ago

the halfway house (on beighton road?) has been there since i lived in woodhouse.......longer than 17 years ago

I had a really bad experience with people from that halfway house some years ago. They were drunk and loud and kept harassing me. I had to move seats on the train to get away from them. They had been to a staff training day in London and no-one had trained them how to moderate their alcohol intake on the way home.

Think back.

It was announced as a hostel in its conception to avoid any adversity from the locals. During the past seventeen years it has slowly turned into something that the people of Woodhouse would not have agreed to if its true purpose had been disclosed.

Think back.

It was announced as a hostel in its conception to avoid any adversity from the locals. During the past seventeen years it has slowly turned into something that the people of Woodhouse would not have agreed to if its true purpose had been disclosed.

??

its always had winos and problem drinkers and druggies living there, its always been moaned about

as far as im aware its not a new problem

??

its always had winos and problem drinkers and druggies living there, its always been moaned about

as far as im aware its not a new problem

Ok melthebell. I know what you are saying, you have made your point clearly and concisely.

My point is that enough is enough, and it is about time that Woodhouse be cleaned up and allowed to realise its true potential. Do you agree?

Ok melthebell. I know what you are saying, you have made your point clearly and concisely.

My point is that enough is enough, and it is about time that Woodhouse be cleaned up and allowed to realise its true potential. Do you agree?

indeed

my family still live in woodhouse so i pass through certain parts whenever im visiting.

like most places it has got worse with anti social behaviour and "chavs" etc...as the old community starts moving out and newer people move in from other areas, and yes i dont think it gets the investment other areas do (apart from the badger and cold community centre being changed over the past 12 years or so)

the village seems to be left to rot with no investment

I had a really bad experience with people from that halfway house some years ago. They were drunk and loud and kept harassing me. I had to move seats on the train to get away from them. They had been to a staff training day in London and no-one had trained them how to moderate their alcohol intake on the way home.

You shouldn't have to put up with it, neither should anyone walking through one of Sheffield's oldest market squares have to deal with abuse from a group of drunken criminals whilst going about their daily business.

I posted about an incident yesterday and then felt a bit judgemental because I had labelled people who live on council estates. I live near the square and i see the flotsam and jetsam drift past on an hourly basis, usually in packs and when old enough (post 15) with buggies and dogs. It might only be about 20 odd people that are causing all the problems.

I see the stark choices they are forced to make when I queue behind them in Costcutter, food for the kids or more alcohol, people pleading with partners to put the cider back and buy some food.

I have lived in many places and am from Handsworth originally. I bought on this side of town because I got more for my money but there's no influx of diversity and nothing unique apart from a few pretty buildings and a bit of history - just pubs, tanning salons and betting shops. The other side of the City is a complete contrast.

I have to agree with you on the highlighted sentence. Some of my work takes me to this area, its big problem. Im not judging anyone for where they live or who they are, im saying they need the same opportunities and funding input as we have had in the North of Sheffield. :)

has really gone down hill these last few years to the point where there is at least 1 property a week availble on the property shop, usually on severnside estate .its a real shame as i really use to like it here but not no more :(

You shouldn't have to put up with it, neither should anyone walking through one of Sheffield's oldest market squares have to deal with abuse from a group of drunken criminals whilst going about their daily business.

These people were the staff on the way back form an induction course in London!