Bidding for a Council house MEGATHREAD

Every Wednesday the new properties are advertised. You can see the ones for the following week under 'coming soon' on the property shop website.

I know there have been quite a few threads on this topic but they all seem to be a few years old so wanting an up to date opinion.

We're a couple with a 1 year old and just over 7 1/2 years waiting time....how long do you reckon we'll be bidding before we get something?

Are there really people with over 10 years waiting time bidding every week with no luck or are these people just being picky?

Keep bidding. You might struggle, but could get offered somewhere within a year if you bid aggressively anywhere and everywhere.

hi, we have 15 years waiting and 2 children, we have been bidding for 2 years at least on all the properties we've bid on works out at 1-2 a month in surrounding areas and had no luck so far only 1 in 4 properties in 1 area go to someone with waiting time only, all the rest go to someone with some kind of priority as we've found out but we'll keep trying, just keep bidding and good luck.

You're only bidding on 1-2 properties a month??

no we are bidding on properties that are suitable for us it varies how many in a month depending whats available, and suits us, (thats without going into personal circumstances) it has worked out at 1-2 a month over a 2 year period.

its not just people that are wanting bigger properties that are struggling, with the benefit changes that are coming in i am trying to down size to a one bed, but even though i am giving up a good sized two bed.

i still haven't been successful in my bids for one beds or even bedsits and i have over ten years waiting time as well as the downsizing priority. so i wouldn't hold your breath.

its not just people that are wanting bigger properties that are struggling, with the benefit changes that are coming in i am trying to down size to a one bed, but even though i am giving up a good sized two bed.

i still haven't been successful in my bids for one beds or even bedsits and i have over ten years waiting time as well as the downsizing priority. so i wouldn't hold your breath.

Have you tried looking for an exchange? Just a thought. http://www.sheffieldhomes.org.uk/myHome/MovingHome/MutualExchanges/HowDoIFindAnExchangeInSheffield.aspx

I know there have been quite a few threads on this topic but they all seem to be a few years old so wanting an up to date opinion.

We're a couple with a 1 year old and just over 7 1/2 years waiting time....how long do you reckon we'll be bidding before we get something?

Are there really people with over 10 years waiting time bidding every week with no luck or are these people just being picky?

In the last year I've seen several successful bid with waiting times over 25 years. That is because Sheffield council allows people to keep their name on the housing register whether they need housing or not. Owner occupiers who stay on the register for years, can eventually get a house they want, then sell their private home.

So yes, people do stay on the list for 10 years. They may not bid every week, they may only be bidding on selected properties.

And in answer to your first question, if council housing is the only option you'd consider, then you need to be realistic. If you are only bidding on houses then you'll wait longer than if you considered a maisonette.

we are a family with 3 children and have over 10years waiting time.we have been bidding and have no luck they all seem to go priority. im getting slightly annoyed with it now.

have you registered with homeswapper?

have you applied to housing assosiations?

have you looked on gumtree?

have you looked on sheffield forum?

all ideas to help you but we havent had any joy yet.

they also say a child can share your room until 5years old

they also say a child can share your room until 5years old

I find this ridiculous!

Does anyone know anything about this 'points system'? I thought it went out when the bidding system came in, but I heared someone mention it recently.

Does it mean out of everyone that bids on a place listed as 'prefrence given to waiting time' it's not really the case if someone has more 'points'?

Part of me wonders if they just pick people at random regardless of waiting time!

I don't know how much things have changed but about 6 years ago I was in a bit of a pickle and needed somewhere to live (no child at this point) so I bidded for literally a month or so on one beds and got offered somewhere! I didn't take it as by this point I had found somewhere else to live..but I would've only had a year or so waiting time..

Good luck to you.