Bidding for a Council house MEGATHREAD

Hi,

Just falling into hard times financially, hubby signed onto housing register when he turned old enough so now have 6 1/2 years waiting time.

Been bidding for a few weeks for 2 bed houses and was just wondering how people have got on bidding for a house with property shop?

I know some ppl say they have been bidding ages and ages on EVERY house that comes up to suit their needs, some ppl say months to years :o

But i know someone who had 7 years waiting time, was being "fussy" for a year not bidding on that many then started bidding on houses in shirecliffe/southey/parson cross etc and they were offered 2 houses after 3 weeks!!!

So are ppl REALLY bidding on every single house for ages and ages or is the secret just to not be too fussy? Is it just luck depending on who bids on what house etc? Just wanted to know how ppl were getting on really if they're actively bidding beacause were new to the bidding system! also is it true that the council have to "see" you are bidding and showing and interest before you are offered?

:)

We have just started bidding on 2 bedroom propertys this week and seeen a few comming up nxt week or so , i have heard so many different storys about bidding ect so i have no idea whats true and whats not but i know theres loadsssssss on priority and they get most of the houses . I have 20 yrs waiting time so i will let you know how we go on , i must admit im bidding on decent areas so it maybe harder than we think but im willing to wait for the right area as im wanting to by the house we get in 5 yrs time or so . I know alot bid on properties there not entitled to so these people will wait along time , thats what the housing told me last week , but like i said i will let you know how things go .

Hi,

Just falling into hard times financially, hubby signed onto housing register when he turned old enough so now have 6 1/2 years waiting time.

Been bidding for a few weeks for 2 bed houses and was just wondering how people have got on bidding for a house with property shop?

I know some ppl say they have been bidding ages and ages on EVERY house that comes up to suit their needs, some ppl say months to years :o

But i know someone who had 7 years waiting time, was being "fussy" for a year not bidding on that many then started bidding on houses in shirecliffe/southey/parson cross etc and they were offered 2 houses after 3 weeks!!!

So are ppl REALLY bidding on every single house for ages and ages or is the secret just to not be too fussy? Is it just luck depending on who bids on what house etc? Just wanted to know how ppl were getting on really if they're actively bidding beacause were new to the bidding system! also is it true that the council have to "see" you are bidding and showing and interest before you are offered?

:)

if you bid regularly you should def get something with that waiting time but if you start to miss weeks on bidding they wont be bothered keep bidding hope you get somewhere soon xx

Thanks for the replies! oh my, 20 years waiting time! hubby signed on when he turned old enough then forgot about it just recently we realised he has built up waiting time so its a good job really cos we need the cheaper rent now! Did you sign on then sort of forget about it? I see you haven't been actively looking for a council house all that time?

Thanks for the replies! oh my, 20 years waiting time! hubby signed on when he turned old enough then forgot about it just recently we realised he has built up waiting time so its a good job really cos we need the cheaper rent now! Did you sign on then sort of forget about it? I see you haven't been actively looking for a council house all that time?

Yes i sighned when i left school , and got a council house when i was 18 when i had my son , but i bought my own property when i was 19 so was a council tennant for a year , i have just kept my name on the list , but as like yourself i have hit a bad patch in my trade " plasterer" , so basiclly im takin my money from my property and lookin at investing it , i am hopeing to go back on council if we get anywhere , i really didnt want to sell my house but needs must and the council have told us that we will still get somewhere even though we have our own house at the moment , but we have to sell it within 6 months of getting a council house or we will be kicked out as thats the councils rules .

Just to let you know i have started bidding this week on 2 bedroom properties , we have not heard anything from last weeks bids , but to be honest im not totally sure how long it is till they contact you if youur succesfull on your bids . So if anyone knows roughly how lomng it is toill you get contacted i would appretiate the feedback .

Just for info - there is a three bed house in Pitsmoor on First Come First Served this week - bids open til Tuesday. I'd imagine a lot of people after a family house don't look there as houses with no waiting time rarely come up. http://www.sheffieldpropertyshop.org.uk/fcfs.asp?ID=1811F5963CE94127A5996969C72C3F01

Just to let you know i have started bidding this week on 2 bedroom properties , we have not heard anything from last weeks bids , but to be honest im not totally sure how long it is till they contact you if youur succesfull on your bids . So if anyone knows roughly how lomng it is toill you get contacted i would appretiate the feedback .

Hiya, i believe it is supposed to be within 7 days, that will be 7 days from when that particular bidding cycle ends so all the bids are in.

However, on website looking at my previous bids they still say awaiting decision some were from a few weeks ago so i don't know ho quick they really are.....

Hiya, i believe it is supposed to be within 7 days, that will be 7 days from when that particular bidding cycle ends so all the bids are in.

However, on website looking at my previous bids they still say awaiting decision some were from a few weeks ago so i don't know ho quick they really are.....

If they have trouble letting the property, for example if the first person refuses the offer, it'll be offered to the next person. If they have to do it a few times then it can take weeks, even months, for it to be let. Also, if something has happened to the property while it was advertised and repairs need doing then that can delay it being let too.

Thanks sarah , yes it says awaiting decision on our page so we are just keeping a eye things , we bidded last week on 1 property and bidded on 5 this week lol , so just a waiting game , you hear somany different storys about bidding and other peoples situations you never know what to believe do you , we spoke to a friends sister last week and she was saying you havent got a prayer even with 20 years , we just said we will have to see what happens as we havent got a clue .

i didnt even bid for the house im in it wasnt on the housing list yet has it had only just become empty i went round the estate found all the empty houses that were not on the property list and made a note of them then i went to the doctors and spoke to advocacy worker told her all the stress i was under especially with a new baby and she gave me a letter to take to the council to help me get an house and in 2 - 3 weeks i was offered the one i wanted so you might wanna give that a try

It all goes on priority and who needs a house most...

we have just started looking for a council house after finding out my other half

is pregnant and we cannot afford our current £600 rent when she goes on maternity leave so that makes us a bit more of a priority as a couple with no kids etc who work...

We signed on the wakefield one again instead of sheffield as we think we have more

chance of a house..

If theres no good reason you will wait years!!

I had a council flat in Wakefield and i only waited 12 months for it and i was a single male and they offered me it,i didnt even bid on any.....its the houses that are near impossible to get.

Edited by highgreen